• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please sign this petition - Fuel prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
:) I cycle everywhere, and think the same of motorists. :) Although the issue is not so much the cars in London but the buses.

I really think that the fuel price should increase at least 10 fold, and I own a car, a diesel meriva, but a full tank lasts for almost a month, as the car is just used for shopping and school drops. Less than 6k miles a year.

So let me see if I understand this, fuel increase would mean a society collapse?

I think that the issue is that we may be too dependent of fuel to look at other options.

Electric cars, for example, there are some about. Smaller engine cars? Do you really need a 1.8L car?

Local shops?

How did people survive before fuel?

Not attacking you, or people that are after the cheap fuel. See it as the devil advocate, think of alternatives, before saying that the society would implode if fuel increased.

Now if the internet crashed, then we would cease to exist. :)

Nobody will really look for alternatives if fuel price remains as it is. So I'm not signing.
Don't really care how long takes a delivery, people here still use horse-drawn carts. :)
Luis I agree with most of the things but beer price :p

Before fuel, electricity etc. people were doing just fine ... now we are just a bunch of big fat lazy bastards scared of our own shadows. :lol:

Mike

skeletonw00t said:
If fuel increased ten fold then the UK economy would implode & society as we know it would collapse...
Almost everything we rely on is dependant on business being able to transport goods & if fuel costs increased then they would not be able to afford to do this.
Think about it:

No "next day delivery" or even same week delivery on online orders.

No next day delivery! that is just not going to work for me... I mean what about my orders from TGM? :arghh:

Fuel prices poses dilemmas for both individuals and the government.
If fuel prices drop then the incentive to move to more greener/alternative fuels goes away and also for car manufacturers to make more fuel efficient cars.
If the prices continue to increase even by small amounts not even 10x then this would impact on the economy and means inflation, recession and job losses.

From the point of view of the government they have to balance the need for tax revenue against negative effects of increasing prices ie inflation, recession and job losses. The level of taxes on fuel in the UK means that small increases in the commodity prices of oil results in large increases in retail prices in oil at the pump. VAT has risen to 20% adding further pressure and the underlying price of oil IMO is only set to rise. I would like to see the government ease off the taxes a bit and I think they could do this and without hurting revenue significantly.
Also the huge UK budget deficit and the quantitative easing that the BOE has been carrying out means that our currency will weaken which means that the cost of buying oil from oil producing nations will also go up.

In an ideal world we would not have become dependent on fossil fuels that are finite and polluting but we are where we are.

Come on people. No fuel no modern world atm. Later it will gradually change to other types but now it has to go down.
The world would really collapse.

Switch to LPG people - a renewable resource (dependant on source), which already fuels a larger percentage of the worlds transport than people may think.

A trade-off between a faster, more able society and a cheaper, less harmful renewable energy resource.

Mark Evans said:
Luis! what planet do you live on?...raise fuel prices? :wideyed:

It's because of current prices, i nearly went out of business!

:) I still maintain that fuel prices should be raised. Bad about you almost going out of business, but there are other things to consider than businesses.

If you almost went out of business because the fuel prices went up, then maybe you need to find something else to do, as prices will rise, not fall. It's not like there are lots of it about. :D

i guess you are from london or similar, where you can walk or bus or train everywhere.

prices have fallen though??!!

Supermarkets have just taken 3p off fuel per litre. There's always going to be competitive when it comes to fuel, fuel prices will rise when there is trouble in the middle east. Saying prices will never come down, is actually wrong. They probably will drop again once Colonel Kerbady has been sorted. Admittedly they won't drop to the prices they were ten years ago, but they will drop again.

Petrol is used for more than fuelling cars - that seems to have been overlooked.
How do you think your food gets to a supermarket, greengrocer or even a market stall. Im struggling to think of something you could buy that fuel prices would not have an effect on.

Personally I would love to not have to drive anywhere, trouble is there is no other solution for me - unless I fancied a 5hour commute each way using dirty expensive and unreliable trains and buses.
When a practical alternative to petrol comes along I will be the first to use it.

Also those nice smooth roads bikes are rode on, what do you think pays for them, could it be road tax paid by those who use petrol?

m_attt said:
i guess you are from london or similar, where you can walk or bus or train everywhere.
Yep, I am from London, where you can walk almost anywhere and be mugged, take the bus and pay a very high price for the pleasure of bad service, go on the tube and pay even more or cycle on the road and pray that a truck or white van does not take you under the wheels.

Yep, I'm from London. Funny enough I think that it is London that suffers most with the increase of fuel, as almost all households have a car.

I don't go out of London that much, maybe went out of the M25 3 or 4 times in the 16 years I've been in the UK, but I would imagine that in most places in the UK people would have other forms of transport, such a walking, buses, horse and cart, cycling, etc. :)

---

ghostsword said:
m_attt said:
Yep, I am from London, where you can walk almost anywhere and be mugged, take the bus and pay a very high price for the pleasure of bad service, go on the tube and pay even more or cycle on the road and pray that a truck or white van does not take you under the wheels.

Yep, I'm from London. Funny enough I think that it is London that suffers most with the increase of fuel, as almost all households have a car.

I don't go out of London that much, maybe went out of the M25 3 or 4 times in the 16 years I've been in the UK, but I would imagine that in most places in the UK people would have other forms of transport, such a walking, buses, horse and cart, cycling, etc. :)

---

yes an no really, if had to get to work (car 35 mins) it would take 5 buses and a taxi, and at least 2 hours, but wouldn't be able to work weekends as no services. when was at uni a 10 min car journey to drop daughter to childminder would have been 3 buses and an hour then same to get back to uni so would have been 4.30 5 am starts. an not back till late. wouldn't be able to get to family on weekends. and where they an i live isn't massivly rural. down here loads of people and bussiness would be stuffed if prices went that high :)

m_attt said:

That's a good point

I live in romford an I can get anywhere by bus or bike, I use public transport a hell of alot and with an Oyester card the prices are OK along as they stay at they are, going up 30p in 2 years is a pi$$ take IMO.

Back on track

If I lived where my sister does where you are not allowed to walk along the road that links you too the main town and the bus comes when it feels like it, they are dependent on cars. My young brother had an amazing social life herein Romford, he stayed there for 6months an the kid turned into a freaking recluse haha.

So because we can get by without a car everyday doesn't mean the whole of uk can.

Every business is effected by fuel prices so you cant really say change business. My dad owns a tile shop, even he has been hit by the current climate, delivery charges manufacturing ect ect. As a builder you notice items you buy going up in the stores or you wholesale company keying you know there charge for delivery has gone up.

I'm woth Luis. anywhere within 15 miles and I bike. Any further I bike to the bus or train station. Taking the kids I bike with a buggy attached to the rear or bus. Always done this.

Maybe they need to keep putting the prices up higher and higher until the lazy school runners that drive half or even 1 mile get the message that they should be walking. I walk my kids to school the 1.5 miles and my kids enjoy it as do I.

As for rural. There was a day when people used to work locally. Where if they wanted a job in the city.....they moved to the city. These days people from the city move to the rural area and then drive their Jeeps, Discoverys and Now Porsche/Audi/BMW 4x4's back to the city to work spewing fumes out at 10x the rate of a 1 litre car. They don't go on any roads that need the 4x4 and are stuck in the rush hour just as long.

Those that lived in the city were picked up by tranny van and transported to the farms or food factories. these days uninsured and un MOT'd wrecks containing a few europeans travel out to these jobs and the tranny vans are no more!!! (Not a generalised view either. I used to work at one (which I biked 9.5 miles to and from each day) and my job was to check the car park for tax discs!!! Got through some paper on that one!!!

However I am quite happy for the tax for hauliers to be exempt. After all they are on the road for a good reason. Not just because they fancy living miles away from where they work or because the school is more than 10 paces.

Maybe it is time for tolls instead of fuel duty?

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back