• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A different approach - Algae improvement with low light

Re: A different approach - Old Crypt leaves gone

Thanks Mike :)

Got some Cherry Shrimp on Friday :) They're still really skittish, and adjusting to the whirlpool, but I'm sure they'll settle in. Two of them have been shimmying and displaying to each other already.

IMG_3703small.jpg

Tom

looking lovely mate, love the Balansae at the back, it really add something a little different to the scape.

looking lovely mate, love the Balansae at the back, it really add something a little different to the scape.

Thanks, its starting to thicken up now. Lots more leaves coming through. It's the fastest growing plant so far, now it's settled.

Diatoms are starting to appear, despite using a mature filter.

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

Tom said:
Thanks Mike :)

Got some Cherry Shrimp on Friday :) They're still really skittish, and adjusting to the whirlpool, but I'm sure they'll settle in. Two of them have been shimmying and displaying to each other already.

Tom

you mean cherry barbs?

Re: A different approach - Cherry Barbs

Cheers Mark. If I keep on top of it I'm sure it won't be a problem to control :thumbup: I'm looking forward to the undulata coming through too. At the moment most of the new leaves are still pretty small, but I'm sure it won't take long the way it's gone so far.

Tom

I've had a right good hack back of the parva and willisii that are growing well today, to let the new leaves take over. I have left the plants that aren't growing so quickly, which also happened to be overshadowed by the wendtii "tropica". Because of that, I've also hacked the "tropica" right back to try and stimulate some growth in the rest of the parva/willisii. Hopefully once they've grown in a bit, they won't be too worried about being overshadowed so much.

It will also soon be time to trim the moss and old hairgrass blades :)

Thanks Tom

Here's a really shabby photo, but an update nonetheless. I've got a couple of Otos now too, now that the diatoms are here. At least the plants don't seem to be affected. I really need to trim the moss down each side now!

[EDIT] the Cherry barb is not in the inlet!!

IMG_3806.jpg

Tom

Hi Tom,

The scapes looking really good, are you having to hack back the larger growth frequently, or have the plants got the message now? :) How have the cherry barbs settled in with all the flow?

How's your DIY light unit going? Have you had any problems with residual heat?

Apologies for the barrage of questions... :oops:

All the best,
Joe

Thanks Joe,

I'm still hacking the Wendtii Tropica down as and when it overshadows the moss and Parva, but once the smaller plants have grown in more I won't worry too much about that. It's just they'll never grow with the Wendtii leaves on top of them.

The Cherries are fine now, no problems. On the first day one managed to jump out, but it was found before any harm was done. They tend to hang around in the right hand side of the tank which has less flow though.

The DIY light has no problems at all, it doesn't get all that hot. You can feel the heat, but it hasn't wrinkled or gone tacky at all. With the lacquer I used it can be wiped down too, which has been handy.

Tom

Like the Way you made the Luminaire. I have used this method in the past for the 'Valliserna Jungle Tank'. Did you use standard Black Drain Pipe, with the ridges on the underside. As that one is very Thick and heat resistant.

Cherry barbs are a great choice for this scape, as the colors when in Breeding mode. Will Enhance the colors of the planting and overall scape. They are Also some of the hardiest fish I have ever kept. Tolerating alot of different water parameters.

it looks great mate, and have faith in your system.

Back