• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Non co2 17 US gallon re-start with PAR readings

Well,...it's been 3 weeks since I placed the last batch of C. tropica, wendtii & Hygro sp tiger in. The Hygros have all but melted,...Crypts as usual are doing fine. The vals are still adjusting ,...I think,...because while there has been some complete melt in some of the stalks,...a few others are showing some new shoots. The Amazon swords are actually fine. Some new very slow growing shoots,....no major melting had appeared in them since they were first put in. There has been some surface scum since the last 3 weeks but this I suppose is due to the new plants melting,..I expect it to reduce once the plants are all well settled in. My flow is more than 10 times tank volume & the lights are low. I don't have a pic in hand to upload,...will do it soon but seriously I don't think the pics will do the tank any justice as the growth rates are so superbly slow. :lol:

I have been having a bit of a diatomic bloom for the last 3 weeks. It sort of started after cleaning my filter. I washed the filter media with tank water but sort of washed the black coarse sponge with tap. A week later I started seeing some brown circular patches over the stones, Crypt leaves, anubias, the white sandy area at the foreground etc. Takes a bit of firm wiping before they come off.

I know that they should eventually just disappear but is there anything else I can do to prevent it from worsening?

I've had this in the past when I had filter problems. My canister filter got clogged with soil and stopped working. When I cleaned the filter I got a brown diatom bloom soon after. Its very similar to when the tank is maturing for the 1st time but it happens and is all over a lot quicker and the diatom bloom should eventually clear totally. Providing your filter is working properly ie good flow, media isn't clogged etc then the best thing to do is wait it out and be patient.

Thanks Brenmuk,... :D . Have I ever mentioned it to you guys that the UKAPS clan truly is the best? Thank you for that quick re-assurance. That was just what I wanted to hear. I had planted some Crypt Spiralis two weeks ago,...and I must say,...they are giving out shoots quite quickly for a non co2 tank.

I will wait it out. I love this tank. It's also turning out to be a Crypt dominant tank.

Back