• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

new fish added but swimming funny?

tovtm

just added some new fish to my tank (9 rummy noses and 8 cardinals) let bag get to temp in tank by floating for half hour, put a bit of tank water in bag then let float for another 15mins

I let them out and they all start swimming funny trying to stay upright but sometimes laying on there backs and swimming vertical at top of tank. what have I done wrong or an I do or will they be fine in the morning once they settle in.

my tank already has two discus and 6 rummynoses, 3 corgys, and two rams and all fine

tovtm said:
just added some new fish to my tank (9 rummy noses and 8 cardinals) let bag get to temp in tank by floating for half hour, put a bit of tank water in bag then let float for another 15mins

I let them out and they all start swimming funny trying to stay upright but sometimes laying on there backs and swimming vertical at top of tank. what have I done wrong or an I do or will they be fine in the morning once they settle in.

my tank already has two discus and 6 rummynoses, 3 corgys, and two rams and all fine
Is the tank CO2 injected? Sounds a little like CO2 intoxication, which is quite common when adding new fish into a CO2-enriched tank.

flow rate is quite high 1200lph in my 125lt tank but they come from a tank with a fx5 filter on it so should be used to it. yep my tank is co2 injected which is what my suspicions were wen I thought about a reason behind it. will they get used to it or should I turn co2 down and gradually raise it again?

I would turn off your lights and CO2, and perform a 50% water change. Note their behaviour. If it's improved it's likely the CO2. Then gradually increase CO2, with lights off, and resume normal lighting once CO2 is up to your required level, which should be around 30ppm maximum, ideally using a 4dKH drop checker.

so are you saying to leave lights off for a few days then? I use a drop checker with 4DKH so no problem there

Back