• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first DSLR Camera - Canon

greenjar said:
Good stuff, thanks for the clarification - Interesting stuff all this :D
Great to be getting involved in and learning a new hobby

If you do get into the hobby one thing I would say is that probably one of the most important. Don't worry about the camera body too much, it is all about the lenses.

It is better to invest in decent glass. You will be able to use the lenses with camera bodies in the future. If you begin to look at really really high end lenses and the sort of pictures you are able to capture with them are incredible. Of course it has a lot to do with the photographers understanding of their equipment, but I bet they would take Expensive glass over expensive camera body every single time.

A decent lense on a low end camera body will allow you to take much better pictures than using a really expensive camera body with a crappy lense!

Can you buy me a 400mm F2.8 AF-S VR nikon lense please? :D

JamesD said:
Can you buy me a 400mm F2.8 AF-S VR nikon lense please? :D

I'd love to do that for you.....If I had any money left......as you see, today is my Birthday and that can mean only one thing..... :) :D :D :D

Decided to spoil myself with goodies referred to in the opening posts......Will open up pressies tonight and post a couple pics tommorrow.........

ahhhhh.....feel like a kid on Christmas day again

I bought a 550D recently and I love it! I need to save up some more for some decent glass, but out of the box it's a great camera :) I've moved on from a 300D.

I experienced what James has said about decent glass being more important than an expensive body. I had the opportunity to use John Starkey's 24 - 105mm canon L series lens on my 300D a while back, when some of us met up at Aquajardin, and the difference between the photos I took with that, and those I took with the stock canon 18-55mm lens was huge!

SteveUK said:
I bought a 550D recently and I love it!

I'm sure I will feel the same :D

I did see your post and pics taken at Puzzlewood - pics and place look awesome - I would definitely like to make a visit there

............perhaps we could arrange a little photography outing around these parts.......I'm just down the road from you in Rugby

I 've bought a 50mm cannon prime lens based on the recommendations in my post, so keen to see how this works. This will be my main lens for now while I spend my time focused on learning the camera functions and features. I have also bought a cheap second hand Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Lens just to play around with until I know and learn more about lenses etc

I do hear what you saying about lenses and appreciate that you get what you pay for.......pity they can be so expensive :(

Totally agree, it's very costly :S

I didn't realise you were local :) Will definitely have to sort out something! Drop me a PM if you want to sort out an excursion... We'll have to see if anyone else local wants to join in :)

Steve.

Back