• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL 1500

Barry Wang

Seedling
Hi all
I have just set up my new jbl1500, and have a few questions.

When restarting after a water change it gets full of air, i had to keep tiping it side to side for about 20 mins till it spat all the air out. Is there an easier way?

In the top basket of media the pre filter has no floss in it is this normal? i am used to having floss which collects all the muck and i changed it each week.

I have read about using vaseline on some filter seals is this advisable on this filter? (Super paranoid about it leaking)

I am using the spray bar which came with the filter when this is attached it makes a huming/whistling noise, anyone had this problem?

I am using the media it came with (sponges and ceramic tube things) is this ok, does anyone use any other types?

Thanks in advance
Barry

Well you see the round button on top of the filter?

When it is off. Press down on it a few times and this will prime the filter ready. Then turn it back on.
You will find that the tank water has gone down a little because its in the filter.
Then after a few minutes turn it off and back on again.
You might find a little excess air still in the sponges. Else its really easy.
Did it come with intructions? Might be worth a read?

I'm looking to possibly get one of these (or the 1501 or eheim 2074). Can anybody using one of the these comment on how they've been and what sort of noise they generate?

Cheers,
John

Barry Wang said:
When restarting after a water change it gets full of air, i had to keep tiping it side to side for about 20 mins till it spat all the air out. Is there an easier way?

Let it be, in a couple of days all the air inside the sponges will be released.

Barry Wang said:
In the top basket of media the pre filter has no floss in it is this normal? i am used to having floss which collects all the muck and i changed it each week.

I find floss a waste of money, time and flow, better use Seachem Purigen if you really need extra fine filtration. Though I don't really find it necessarily.

Barry Wang said:
I have read about using vaseline on some filter seals is this advisable on this filter? (Super paranoid about it leaking)

None of my JBL filters leaked in 2 years. You could replace the seals if you find them degrading but this won't happen very soon.

Barry Wang said:
I am using the spray bar which came with the filter when this is attached it makes a huming/whistling noise, anyone had this problem?

Trapped air released makes this noise.

Barry Wang said:
I am using the media it came with (sponges and ceramic tube things) is this ok, does anyone use any other types?

You can replace one of the top containers with bio media (JBL Micromec, Seachem Matrix, Sera Siporax, Eheim Substrat Pro etc.).

The configuration could be, bottom -> up: ceramic rings, sponges, bio-media, sponges.

Barry Wang said:
Thanks in advance
Barry

Your're welcome

Mike

davem said:
I'm looking to possibly get one of these (or the 1501 or eheim 2074). Can anybody using one of the these comment on how they've been and what sort of noise they generate?

Cheers,
John

i am using the eheim 2073( 2 of them) had both the pump heads changed at j allen aquariums free of charge because of recall for leaks but they are that silent you have to touch them to see if they are working, i would deffanetly use there newer modles

Back