• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2x11w or 2x18w over 60cm?

Tom

I'm probably getting a 60P soon, and am trying to decide what to light it with. I'm thinking I'll probably use 2 Superfish clip-on lights (budget!), but it's which ones to go for. What would you use? I've never really had a serious planted tank over 25 liters!

It will be high tech of course, and probably EI ferts with Florabase. Would be good to hear some suggestions. Any other recommendations that aren't to expensive?

Tom

I find that PL lights don't cover as much area as tubes do. They are nice for nano cubes though.
You'll need at least 4 to cover "evenly" the tank and I don't think it's going to look that nice. :)
You shouldn't rush if you can't afford a decent luminaire, better wait another month.

Mike

Well the 60P has been ordered. I'm now leaning towards Mike's suggestion of the Arcadia OT5. Looks like that might be the better option, giving me either 24 or 48w. I might wait until payday (2.5 weeks) to order though. I'm in no rush, as it won't be set up until the Mini M is finished with. I'll need to nick the filter and CO2!

The last 60cm I tried was before I discovered ferts or CO2. I had 3x24w of light, and didn't even see algae somehow. Didn't get much growth either, mind.

Make sure the bulbs aren't "tandem-switched" before buying the Arcadia set. I used to have a Ferplast tank and if you removed one bulb the other one wouldn't work ...

You really don't need to run one tube, just rise the lamp a bit until things settle in, that's why I also pointed the suspension kit. Run it for 5-6h/day and slowly increase the period 0.5-1h / week. :)

Ha thanks, this time I don't really want to mess around. If I do the cabinet (and it's likely I will now), I will be lazy and get the place to cut it to size for me so I just glue it together and paint!! Would still probably cost more than buying one, but hey. I've just been working out the measurements I'd need. I do quite like the look (read, price, I can get one for £30!) of the Marina 60cm one, but it might just look wrong under a 60P. No way of attaching light stand either.

Back