• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Disconnecting T5 lighting without removing bulbs

niknaksky

Is there a way to put a connector in T5 lighting wires so I can disconnect wires without removing bulbs from the hood.

How it is at the moment is I am using 2 t5 ballast in my hood but when removing the hood it takes 2 people as its a 6 ft and heavey hood.

I need 3 people when taking the hood off because 1 needs to hold the lights while the other 2 lift the hood off.

In hind sight i wish I had gone for an open top with an over tank luminaire.

So i have 2 options

option 1 is convert the hood to open top either pay £100 for an open top hood to be made or try and convert it my self and buy a 5ft over tank luminaire.

or Option 2

Find a way to splice a connector into the wires so I disconnect the wire to the bulbs before removing the hood.

Any suggestions

Option 1 will cost around £100 for the new pelmet or diy one for little cost and £169.99 for 5ft lumireair 4x 80w bulbs

Hi all,
You can just fit quick release couplings to the wire, there are only a live and neutral wire running from the ballast to the lamp holders. You can get IP66 couplings if you are worried about electrical safety, although I would be tempted to use ordinary insulated spade end connectors, but put them in a junction box with a water proof gland.

cheers Darrel

I normally just twist the bulb to disconnect it but leave the bulb in there without taking it out. Seemed to work ok with me.

Hi all,
Do you have a link to the coupler
Like Alastair says you can get them from any electrical, car bit, DIY store etc. they are usually "crimp-on" fittings, but you can solder them on for extra security. You don't need a crimp tool, you just need fine nosed pliers.

If you want to put the junctions in a small "water-proof" box, Ebay is probably the cheapest option, but a local electrical wholesaler or Radio Spares etc. should have something suitable for less than £10.

Have a look here for moisture resistant etc fittings <http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0cb9/0900766b80cb9644.pdf> from RS.

cheers Darrel

Back