• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

opti-mike - new pic

]update been long overdue due to one thing or another. Ive been having a bit of trouble with my old foe algae. Im pretty sure that i need to sort out my flow, ferts and co2 distribution. My light has 2x24w and i thought its way too high so i firstly put making tape down the middle of the underside. As of today i have put tracing paper 4 sheets thick in the glass bit to distort the light. I'll see how this goes for a couple of weeks. I will turn co2 a little as well.
could anyone tell me what dosing i should be doing on this. Im using all in one every day but only putting in 6ml. is this about right?
i haven't had any shrimplets yet:( seen a few cluches of dropped eggs which were gobbled up pretty quick. Haven't had any deaths yet either. Ben if you read this they are getting redder and redder. just wont them to bred now.
tankfu.jpg

thanks guys, it has grow more than this but i have just been trimming it down to get a nice re-growth.

hotweldfire said:

That tank is amazing isnt it. If it turned into something half like that I would be well chuffed. In the link the picture has some plants growing in the background, maybe something I should do adds another layer of depth. I have got a bit of hc growing around the rocks in the middle, im just seeing if it will carpet around them, not to fussed if they dont. was thinking of adding a couple of pots of ilaeopsis brasiliensis in the corners see if that will look nice.

I sucked up a 6 of my chill rasbora by mistake, really gutted about that. I am going to get another ten this weekend so there is a shoal of 16. I have on otto, and 14 sukura, 5 Taiwan fire shrimp. when my shrimp start breeding or the moss carpets more ill probably get some large fish to put in, just want to give any shrimplets a change at the mo...if i ever get some. maybe some cardinals...any suggestions?

Heres another photo from a different angle so you can see the moss carpet coming on.

img5112x.jpg

bit of help needed please guys

im getting Rhizoclonium algae growing on some of the moss. And beard algae growing on the wood along with a bit of BBA algae growing in places as well. my flow is around 1500lph, co2 is pretty high running 24/7, but i could probably get it up a bit more... but i think the problem is my dosing, ive got an all in one fert, 5ml a day. Is it way off?

i wanna put some more plants in the tank how does this sound. small crypts behind the rocks, ilaeopsis brasiliensis in the right corner and along the back and maybe a nice plant in the right some sort of low growing stem?

On a bad note i have a shrimp full of eggs but i think its dead as its gonna a funny colour. the eggs are spilling out, will they still hatch if fertilized?

what all in one are you using? I think some Crypts will suit this tank, maybe some Wendtii brown, as for stems, i think you'll struggle to find a 'low' stem. You can keep trimming though.

looks very interesting mate.

Hi there, if you want your shrimps to breed, you need to wrap the filter intake with something. I slice up a think piece of those blue coarse foam that come with Eheim filters. Else shrimplets and eggs will just get sucked in.

Really nice hardscape, though are you planning to cover the foreground a bit more with plants?

Cheers flygja, I dont know if you can make it out but I have put a pair of tights over it. Obviously not a whole pair just a bit, it works pretty well but i do have to rise it every now and then as flow drops off. I read your old journal a minute ago, looked real good mate, new ones looking very good to. I want to create the same kinda look as you but dont really know to much about plants. Was thinking of adding a few crypts and maybe something else. Maybe even some some sort of grass along the front. What do you think?

I had a shrimp that exploded with eggs and is just rotting away. I've left it as there is good flow and the eggs arent been eaten by the fish... maybe theres hope for them yet.

Would amano shrimp eat Rhizoclonium algae ? im seeing quite a lot now! turned co2 up a little more as of yesterday.

Thanks for the compliments.

Are you still running on the 2x 24W T5? If so, I think you could go with glosso as a carpeting plant. It stays short with proper trimming and its a lighter green colour compared to your moss. Your foreground will then look like a field of light green glosso with larger bushes of moss in and around. Hairgrass would be too tall. HC may need more light. Crypts make look out of place to me, unless you get those that don't grow tall. I'm crap at crypt names so I can't name any off the top of my head.

Can't see the tights at all though :geek:

hotweldfire said:
mate, get that dead shrimp out. The eggs don't have a hope and the carcass will just pollute the tank, good flow or no.

haha I would but the shrimp has vanished! think it just rotted away, the eggs are still there though should i take these out aswell? doing a 50% water change tonight that should help a bit. Thanks for that, thought i was being optimistic!

flygja said:
Are you still running on the 2x 24W T5? If so, I think you could go with glosso as a carpeting plant. It stays short with proper trimming and its a lighter green colour compared to your moss. Your foreground will then look like a field of light green glosso with larger bushes of moss in and around. Hairgrass would be too tall. HC may need more light. Crypts make look out of place to me, unless you get those that don't grow tall. I'm crap at crypt names so I can't name any off the top of my head.

I am running 2z24w bulbs but i have put tracing paper about 4 sheets thick in there to reduce it. I had hair algae all over the shop. That seems to have gone now, just a load of Rhizoclonium.

I do have some hc around the rocks, seems to be growing. but ive never had luck with glosso as it just seems to grow tall not carpet and that was in a 30l, high co2, El. I trimmed it and all sorts just didnt carpet.

I was thinking of low lying crypts, small low growing ones just a couple around the rocks.

How about some Lilaeopsis brasiliensis? would that look good instead of hair grass?

ill photoshop a photo to show what i was thinking i wanna achieve:) it will be a bit naff though

I'd be inclined to add bolbitis and needle leaved java and some anubias at the bases to give some variance in texture and to add some visual trasition, especially in the left hand corner.

A great scape regardless, very well done.

Garuf said:
I'd be inclined to add bolbitis and needle leaved java and some anubias at the bases to give some variance in texture and to add some visual trasition, especially in the left hand corner.

Cheers Garuf, im pretty happy with it, just need to add some plants to give it that added texture like you said. Ive just been reading about the plants and your right I love that bolbitis. Cant say Ive ever seen it mind but I think it could look awesome. have you ever grown it ? So a few anubias around the bases....yeah liking that to.
Ive got some nana petite in my nano may transfer it see what it looks like... and if i like it ill get some of the bigger varieties. still going to get a pot of brasiliensis just to dot about... just like it.

Im about to do a massive algae removal operation, and water change:(

Also my filter is keeping the water proper clean, so as of next week im going to start adding RO water, bit by bit day by day until its full RO water like viktor has in his shop.

Back