• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

echinodorus harbii growing big and low

Katch

My echinodorus harbii is growing really large leaves very close to the floor instead of growing up. It's a pain in the butt because I put it in the back of the tank and in the middle to be a background plant.

I've got high light, high ferts and high CO2. I guess this is why it is growing so low to the substrate.

Anything I can do to encourage it up a bit or shall I pull it out and try a diffrent plant there?

It should look like this:

echinodorus-harbii.jpg

Instead it looks like a lettuce.

Nope, that's the form most echinoborus take, just check any of the old dennerle tanks or tropicas older photos the picture you've posted is of a emersed plant, note the rigidity of stem, they just don't take this form I'm afraid.

Yep, underwater the large majority of echinodorus are flat and low to the ground, especially if they get enough light. :)

I got three on my tank and they were trying those tricks. What did I do? Covered them on top with a floating rafter, now they are straight and some leaves are outside the water.

Got stems and leaves that are at least 80cm tall. :)

Back