• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Basic 30cm Cube

Love it, Ranunculus is really growing on me. How have you found it in this tank. Thinking of trying it out.

Non CO2 is misleading if you are using Excel. Some may think they can achieve that without it. In fact you can but will take you ages.

Gill said:
Love it, Ranunculus is really growing on me. How have you found it in this tank. Thinking of trying it out.

I've been asking Outsideinside to look out for it for ages. Last month they mentioned it had popped up on the Tropica lists finally. I'm eager to give it a shot also.

Although I thought it was smaller in leaf form then Georges picture makes it out to be..

Tom said:
Looks nice George - how much are you dosing of each for this?
Thanks, Tom.

I'm dosing 1ml TPN+ and Excel each per day. I change 75% every 2 weeks using softwater (RO with a bit of tap).

ianho said:
nice George, how longs this been set up?
Thanks, Ian.

It's been set up for about 2 months.

Gill said:
Thanks, Pardeep.

I find Ranunculus a bit unpredictable. I've had it in a tank with higher lighting, more CO2 and more nutrients, yet it didn't do so well. When it does settle in it's a fast grower. I've seen it creep along the substrate in one or two aquascapes which I think looks better. I think it needs more light and nutrients to do that.

Radik said:
Non CO2 is misleading if you are using Excel. Some may think they can achieve that without it. In fact you can but will take you ages.
Sorry, Radik! I didn't mean to be misleading. Hopefully your post will prevent any misunderstanding, so thank you for pointing that out.

spyder said:
Lovely. Cubes are growing on me.

Could your share any more details on Aqua 2011 - Telford?
Thanks.

Here's more info on Aqua 2011. I'm only attending on the 4th Oct to set up display aquascapes.

http://www.aquatelford.co.uk/

George Farmer said:
flyingfish said:
is this the pets at home cube and light?
Yes. Unfortunately they are no longer available.

They should be coming back no?

P@H still have the tags on the shelves, they have launched a new range of "lifestyle styling kits" for the range and the cube was/is the PFK subs voucher offer.

I understand it's an issue with the light. I believe it falls short of the minimum standard due to their being no way of securing the bracket to the aquarium.

You may notice that other types have a screw that can tighten the unit against the glass. With this model, the light bracket just rests under it's own weight.

Shame, as I would happily pay the RRP just for the optiwhite cube with no light or filter...

George Farmer said:
I understand it's an issue with the light. I believe it falls short of the minimum standard due to their being no way of securing the bracket to the aquarium.

You may notice that other types have a screw that can tighten the unit against the glass. With this model, the light bracket just rests under it's own weight.

Shame, as I would happily pay the RRP just for the optiwhite cube with no light or filter...

Which is what i told cooper international but they weren't having it.... shame.... :(

Nothing wrong with how the light.mounts on mine. Nice and secure, just make sure you slot it on the tightest part, job done.

Wonderful tank and fantastic to see the use of inert gravel.

I honestly believe that people are paying exorbitant unnecessary amounts for "soils" with supposedly "magical" qualities.

Jim said:
Wonderful tank and fantastic to see the use of inert gravel.

I honestly believe that people are paying exorbitant unnecessary amounts for "soils" with supposedly "magical" qualities.

Some plants love the root feeding. Case in point. I'm looking at a little red crypt in a tumbler of Flora Base in my little arc tank where i stopped adding ferts and easy carbo months ago due to pregnant shrimp. It's flourishing on complete neglect getting all its food from the soil it sits in.

In my main tank with full EI and CO2 injection where it sat in inert sand and gravel with root tabs it struggled to hold onto 4 or 5 leaves at a time.

Yes, you can get the same results of "posh soil" in a cheaper way using additives or DIY mixes but results can be mixed and unpredictable especially when the soil is disturbed.

Best Regards,
John

Back