• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I want a whiter light in my tank...?

Emyr

Hello,

I am after a much more white light in my tank, a more daylight colour. I currently have X1 Tropica Plant Pro 24W T5 and X1 Tropica Original Tropical pro 24W T5 plus X1 AquaFX LED bulb.

The original tropical produces a very pink/redish tint which is supposed to enhance the colours of the fish and plants. However I have been into many fish shops where hey day that a daylight colour is better for the plants and I personally think it looks much nicer and more natural while still enhancing the colours I think.

So I was thinking about maybe replacing the original tropical with another plant pro t5 or a Giesemann T5 Powerchrome Midday 24W which produces pure daylight. However maybe that would be to white and not be as good for the plants so Maybe the Powerchrome t5 daylight bulb would be bright enough to get rid of the red/pink light from the original tropical bulb slightly.

Any thoughts and opinions welcomed?

Thanks

if you want white light you should aim for approx 6500k - 8000k tube.

I would suggest trying www.lampspecs.co.uk you will find some great tubes at much more reasonable prices

I order 2 midday bulbs for two tanks 10 days ago from aquacadabra, they have promised delivery by the end of the month if you want to wait to see what they look like compared to my juwel natur plant bulb which is very yellow? I'll be starting a new journal so pics will be up....

Your just having 1 midday bulb on each tank Iain? How big are your tanks? That would be great to see what they look like. I will wait and look at yours. I think I will probably end up getting a midday bulb and using it alongside the tropica plant pro. When will you be starting your journal?

They will run run along side a 10k bulb, on separate tanks, the 54w 10k bulb I have on my 260lt still won't drown out the horrible yellow of the plant bulb. I'm now of a mind to stop buying the expensive bulbs for T5's, I'm pretty sure you pay for the name, I just really want a geismann luminaire but can't afford it so settled for some bulbs :) and a rescape.
Journal should start at the end of the month, landscape rock turned up today, waiting for delivery of Tom's manzi then I can order the plants I'm missing... It's my first 'proper' scape so have high hopes! Postman hates me, 2 or 3 parcels a day :) it's like Christmas!

mmm... Although if you were to go elsewhere they might not have the correct spectrum of light. Think youjust have to look around for the best price. The Giesemann T5 are one of the best so you will be getting your moneys worth with them. They are the brightest t5s on the market I think. So where as you have a yellow that you want to drown out I have a redish/pink. Im going to order a midday this week I think, should do the job. Where did you order your landscape rock from? ha. I remember when I was buying all the different elements is nice having lots of things arriving in the post, By the end I just couldnt wait just to have it all and get on with it, takes so long to get all the elements together to do it all in one go.

Your not wrong, its a struggle to time it all to be ready to go at the same time especially as i dont have a holding/grow out tank.
Landscape rock was from aquaessentials and looks nice, looking forward to seeing it wet and placed. Just need to get one large piece- 39cm plus but seems that its quite rare. I think Aquaessentials are on it though as i did ask. Rescaping big tanks is an expensive business, gotta love new toys though. Very excited about seeing the wood... as i know Tom has a reputation for over delivering on expectations!!
Will be looking for quick opinions on placement the day of the scape as i want to get it all done in a day.
Sorry, kinda hi-jacked your thread here... think i will start the journal this week.

Exactly. That was the same as me, in the end I just got as much as I could and went for it. Very expensive, but its the hobby that we love so just go with it. I will certainly offer my opinion on it when your up and running. No worries mate.

Any other opinions on a 'whiter light' welcome?

andyh said:
if you want white light you should aim for approx 6500k - 8000k tube.

I would suggest trying http://www.lampspecs.co.uk you will find some great tubes at much more reasonable prices

That's what I opted for and it was the best choice, also Lampspecs offer a really good efficient service :thumbup:

Hey, so i had the Geismann bulbs delivered and would you believe it, they dont fit. Apparently the juwel fitting is slightly shorter in 54w fittings... how very annoying. Now i will have to get another juwel white, which arent HO so i wont be getting the boodst in light i was hoping for. Will be sending it back as soon as i get a chance. I am yet to try the 24w one as i bought it ready for when i rescape that one next month or so...
I think next year i will treat myself to a pendant...

Back