• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bike Respray Project No2 - Raleigh to Baum replica

I really enjoy this thread! I have been a bike mechanic for 17 years and worked with CTS(Carmichael Training Camps) as chief mechanic for several years. Most of my riding consists of rolling big 8 packs and on a Scott and Kona Stabb

These are my 2 all time favorite riggs;)

item-1125846315.jpg

kona_stab_05_bp_jlm.jpg

Shame they're not racers huh? :p

You're a bike mechanic aye? So why does my bottom bracket knock when I ride in the rain? It's always bothered me and no amount of clean/regreasing seems to do the trick?

If your bottom bracket knocks its likely you have either one of 2 things.

1. You have a loos pack bearing system and your bearings/bearing has a flat spot and your spindle is riding that rough spot. Cant fix this, just yank it and put a new one.

2. If you have a sealed BB then its either a loose cup, or again a bad bearing. You might even have a loose crank arm, if this is the case tighten the crap out of it. If it loosens again you need new cranks.

Now, sometimes its neither of these. For all you know it could be your seatpost! Aluminum bikes are great magnifiers of sound, especially these crappy canonondales.

I can honestly say there is nothing I cant fix on a bike. I can build wheels with one eye open! :)

I suspect it's a shot bearing or just not tight then as it's only when I ride it in the rain other wise she's half a tonne of silent french steel.

Andy, by the way I ordered some 900lumen LED lights of ebay for £30, I'll let you know if they're any good. Also I've arranged to go and see a carbon Dolan bike (£200 with dura ace!!!) . Don't hate me.

If its loose and you rode for a while like this more than likely your bearing is shot,cups and spindle as well. :(

Dure Ace makes any road bike ride like a dream!

The bike had a new bb on in February when I bought the bike so it shouldn't be too bad I don't think, I'll double check everything tomorrow and see if anything's worked loose.

I'm looking to buy it as a source for a groupset, I was going to buy a campag athena or sora new but for half the price and a set of wheels and a frame I can sell into the bargain I reckon I'm onto a winner. My current bike is a full decade older than I am so anything is a step up really, I'm in the slowly slowly stage of planning a new "classic" build around a steel frame with nice components, something that seems to be the only option if you're not into carbon or riding fixed these days sadly.

lol. not going to hate you :) I ride very aggresively and even though I am alightweight I wouldn't particularly want to ride a full carbon frame. I throw my bike about to much at home, pub etc and ride on the ice and snow in the winter too. lol Would love dura ace though :)

No idea on the Lumens of my poundland jobby but does a good job for my purposes.

As for the BB my bet is a flatted bearing. I had one once which did that knocking sound. Lasted for a few years then suddenl;y no drive at all.

However what it could also be is the freehub on the rear wheel getting a little jammed. Then you are just feeling it through the contact point (peddle) and your brain thinks it comes from where you feel it.

I remember once I had a brand new £500 Claud Butler mountains bike. rode it for a few weeks and the steering suddenly stopped working just as I was navigating a pedestrian 'chicane' in the centre of the road. Was stuck in the railings as it carried on forward whilst my hands were pointing to the right.

Got that home and several ball bearings fell out which were quite literally hemispheres instead of spheres. they had dug a groove in the steerer so deep that I took the steerer off and it instantly split into 2 pieces. That would've been an even bigger crash. lol

CB offered me a £1k replacement for my troubles to which I replied, no give me my money back. Bought a Raleigh Banana instead :)

If something makes the slightest noise on my bike the kitchen is covered in bike bits and oil. lol. It even really bugs me when 2 cable outers rattle against each other to the point I even put little felt pads where they would contact each other.

Andy

The frame will be going straight on Ebay, trust me of that much, even if it's my size I don't ever really want to ride carbon, a friend of mine recently had his carbon forks snap riding over a bump in heavy traffic, things like that put the fear of god into me. It's not this years Dura ace but even 09's is still £900 for the groupset if you can find it so I'm looking at it as £200 is a great investment. Have you see all the electronic transmissions appearing? Now there is something that strikes me as a all round bad idea.

are you buying off a friend? wow price. lol

electric? no thanks. lol

Andy

To creaky bb guy, try greasing tthe tapers on the arm where it slots onto the bb. Work as a bike mechanic myself. Forever get people with creaky cranks in. Oh, and tighten the axle bolts up with a torque wrench to around 40 ft lb.

I'll check that out, thanks si-man.

Andy, no, I spotted it in the local paper listed as "race bike, like new, never raced, sub1000miles £200 ono" Spoke to a woman on the phone who read out bits as I asked for them arranged to go and see it tomorrow night couldn't believe my luck when she started reading it out.

Garuf...no suspicion? Can detail everything on the bike but does not know the value? Hmmm..I would be suspicious myself!!!

I am suspicious but to be totally honest the woman I spoke to seems to have complete ignorance of the value, I had to explain to her what a derailleur was to read what it said on it and do the whole "are there any stickers on the wheels? What do they say?" thing with her. The more I think about it the more it seems too good to be true though. :/

Thread resurrection coming here. After a few years (eek) due to finances since the recession I ended up riding a red Raleigh until this year with the "GreenNeedle" decal masks sat in a cupboard..............

.............but I did it over the summer. Will give the bike a clean and take some piccies.

FYI - It also has a full carbon front fork, seatpost and saddle (no cover on the saddle, just a thin carbon one) and the bars were already carbon.

Weighs in at 8.45kg now and that is with Shimano's lowest wheelset (1.9kg) and the original cheapy Sora deraiilieurs and shifters, tektro brakes and FSA Velo crank.

That's about as low weight as I can afford (or am prepared to afford) really. Dura Ace groupset, better lighter wheels with lighter tyres and tubes would take it down close to 7kg. Not that I would put lighter wheels on my bike on British roads.

Plus I'm spending my money doing up an old 80s Sun Solo (Nottingham not Worksop) for my Son. Kids these days are all hipster and want the vintage...eek.

I think you'll like the finish. A decent home DIY version of that BAUM on the first page.

Back