• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Selling Super Red Cherry Shrimp?

Ben M

Hi, I have quite a lot of juvi super red cherry shrimp (not normal cherry shrimp). They are approx. 1cm ATM, and I would like to sell them to fund my Mbuna project. However, I don't know how much to sell them for and at what size to sell them? Also, any info on posting them would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Ben :D

Depends how red they are really, if they are average colour the norm is to sell them for around a pound each, if better colour or true red then higher, I would say no more than £3 each if you want to sell them easy and they are indeed super red. I was lucky to get some Sakuras at Vivarium for 2 euros each, also got some of mlgt for free which was nice ;)

Always send next day delivery via royal mail, best to use breathable bags, if you can't get hold of them regular bags will do, they don't need a lot of water or air, just need something to hold on to in the water, like a plant/moss or filter sponge, tape the corners of the bag to avoid crushing them, place the bag in a box with plenty of shredded paper, and mark the box Fragile. Don't tell the post office its shrimp :p

Good luck :)

thanks for the info on posting them. As for the colouring, I've got a pic, but it is washed out, so doesn't show how red they are, but it's close:

IMG_4376.jpg

The males are clear with red speckles. Are these super red cherry shrimp? That's what my mate bought them as.

cheers :D

There pretty red. I think there worth 2quid. My lfs does some crazy red sakuras for just over 3quid each.

Nice shrimp though mate.

Thanks mate, what size do you think I should sell them at? I think I have about 12 at 1cm and another 20 that are really small.

I'll PM some people to ask about size. I've managed to get some slightly better pics of a couple of adult females:

IMG_4393-Copy.jpg

IMG_4392-Copy-1.jpg

pest control said:
The males are clear with red speckles. Are these super red cherry shrimp? That's what my mate bought them as.cheers :D

I would say the one in the pic is a nice quality standard cherry. I would not pay more than £1 for it.
The one you describe with speckles I would class as a low grade cherry.

Then going up the scale from 'standard' cherry...
'Sakuras' have a more intense red.
and 'fire red' is the next grade up, also an intense colour, but a different shade of red.

Often shops sell 'sakuras' by just picking the most red stock out and selling those separately.
Then when they breed the quality goes downhill very quickly.
A good quality sakura will produce decent quality off spring too. Although work is always needed to keep the grading up.

Thanks, I'm struggling to get decent pics of them, so it's really hard to show their colour. I'll try to get a video. I asked my dad's mate, and he said he bought them as fire red cherry shrimp. I'll try to improve the colour by removing the less colourful ones and buying some sakuras once I've got the Mbuna tank sorted.

I use this grading guide:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/foru...-Grading-system-of-Cherry-to-Fire-Red-Shrimps

On that basis yours are low grade sakuras. Males are very hard to judge though.

It's sometimes hard to distinguish between the sakuras and fire reds as it often depends on light. A good way of getting round that is by judging colour coverage, rather than intensity, by looking at the legs. If the colour on the legs is solid rather than broken up then it's a higher grade shrimp.

I agree with Matt, I'd pay about a quid for the female.

Ben

I regularly post my Cherries, to be fair I have spent several years perfecting and increasing the red colouration of my cherries and would say that I have got about as far as I can go with them - pic below for example

IMG_1343.jpg

Mine are no more than simple Cherries, I wont badge them as anything else and sell at 50p each. Size I sell at are from 1cm onwards. I give my customers the option of FREE first class delivery but not guaranteed so if the package goes missing or delayed I accept no responsiblity but to be honest ive only had 2 not turn up in 3 years....!!! This method will fit a standard letterbox and will not need a signature. Max weight is 250gms and costs £1.96 postage.

Alternatively they can opt for next day special delivery and RM charge £5.90 but weight is up to 500gms
I place the shrimp in a small bag, add some Jungle Bag Buddy water conditioner, tie it off with 2 laggy bands, place in a chinese food container, press the lid on and slide into a padded envelope. In the colder months you will need half a heat pack taped to the inside of the bag. Seal the bag and add your post code to the rear. Address the bag accordingly, use FRAGILE tape and mark LIVE TROPICAL SHRIMP, HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE (I have printed labels for all these). Take to the post office and away they go.

I post all year round and between April and October no need for heat pack.

Hope this helps

Bungy

Bungy,

Very nice shrimp. Going by the grading posted by hotweldfire, that looks like a fire red, wouldn't you say?

I agree they look pretty good and IF this is an official grading list then mine would be right up there at the top - but at the end of the day they are still bog standard Cherries which ive selectively bred for the last 3 years. I would not wish to mislead anyone by badging them as something they are not.

Bungy, I understand where you're coming from. I've bought shrimp badged as sakura in the past and have ended up with some very different shrimp. Some high grade like yours and some pretty colourless.

However, I think the same argument you make would therefore have to apply to crystal grading too (e.g. the one on planet inverts everyone uses). I.e. you'd have to say a SSS grade is still just a bog standard crystal red. The grading guide I posted is in no way as established and I'm not entirely happy with it (e.g. I think the low grade sakura grade is confusing). BUT I do think such guides are useful because they give a buyer some indication of what they're getting.

Most people who are interested in cherries know that the term sakura denotes better colouration than bog standard cherries. IMHO by refusing to call yours anything but cherry you are misleading buyers, albeit to your own detriment. Fair play to you for selling them at those prices though. You could get a lot more for them. I've see that grade being sold in shops for five to six quid. I've sold my sakuras, which aren't up to yours, TO shops for a fair bit more than what you're selling yours for.

Agree with the above. The grading is there to let buyer know what qualirt of shrimp to get. I my self have been dissapointed on a few occasion.

Well finally it seems that most are agreed (at least on this forum) that Fire Red and Sakura are in fact Neocaridina Hetropoda Var. Red - that has always been my bug bear and I needed clarification that all are the one species. That being the case I can certainly start to GRADE the adults and sub-adults BUT I would not wish to dissapoint anyone in this regards and I give an example - I have approx 10 tanks allocated for Cherry breeding/rearing - I have a tank where they have pretty well gone ferell - IE reverted bank to colourless form, I set up a Bristlenose breeding tank and added a scoop of these shrimp and within a few weeks the Fems had turned to produce a fantastic vibrant Red and would easily be graded as Sakura or Fire Red....but in their original tank they displayed no such colouration...!!! The point being is that my stock HAVE THE POTENTIAL to reach the very highest grade in terms of colouration but may not do so due to the conditions/environment they will eventually be kept by potential buyers.

Back