• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Tank Questions

L_Plates

Tank: Coopet Cube 27 Litre - Shrimp Tank
Dimensions: 30x30x30
Lighting: 11w

Substrate: I have never used anything other than sand or gravel before but i was thinking of trying the following, Oliver Knott NatureSoil Black or Flora Base. I know the Oliver Knott Naturesoil is shrimp safe but is the FloraBase ? or would you recommend i use something else ?

Also how much would i roughtly need for a tank of this size ?

Wood & Rock: I was thinking of using some Manzanita wood with some Mini Landscape rock from aquaessentials possibly the 5kg option, http://www.aquaessen...-kg-p-1437.html

Plants: Hemianthus Callitrichoides, Java Fern & Alternanthera Cardinalis. Im open for ideas on this so please feel free to fire any ideas my way. Do you have any recommendations for plants that shrimp would need such as moss ?

Ferts: El Dosing or Flourish ? What would be the best option for shrimp ?

Co2: Will i need to use any form of Co2 such as Flourish Excel ? Also will the shrimp be ok with it ?

Shrimp: Red Cherry Shrimp, how many could i have in this size tank ?

This is a new area for me and before so thought i would get some tips and ideas from the experts .

So what do you think of my ideas ? Please feel free to point out any mistakes, stupid ideas i may have written.

Like i say i have never tried a shrimp tank before so i am happy for any advice before i make a start.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for all the questions.
LP

I'll try and give you some answers to what I can. I have one of these setup for cherrys. They're going in this weekend.

Substrate I hear Oliver Knot is good for shrimp. I don't know the in's and out's of it though. As for how much I've almost used a 10 liter bag in 2 tanks this size. Say 3-5 liters. :thumbup:

Rocks. I hear AE are helpful and will advise on quantity and send appropriate sized rocks for your tank if you let them know what your looking for.

Shrimp love moss although my RCS tank is a little short on moss.

Ferts. Either, both the same really so this choice depends on your pockets.

Shrimp are sensitive with liquid carbon. Some have success some kill shrimp. I'm trying to leave the liquid co2 out and keep low tech but that will depend on your plant choices.

Stocking? I'm throwing 20 juvies in. I would start thinning them out at around 70+. I think a recommended breeding colony was 10 Us Gallon for upto 150 shrimp.

Your milage may vary.

Good luck with the tank and dont forget the journal.

I have one and am going to put my cherries in probably two weeks from now. Have managed to kill a few shrimp along the way of setting it up (see link in sig for more details)

L_Plates said:
Tank: Coopet Cube 27 Litre - Shrimp Tank
Dimensions: 30x30x30
Lighting: 11w

Substrate: I have never used anything other than sand or gravel before but i was thinking of trying the following, Oliver Knott NatureSoil Black or Flora Base. I know the Oliver Knott Naturesoil is shrimp safe but is the FloraBase ? or would you recommend i use something else ?

Don't know FloraBase. The Nature Soil is equivalent to aquasoil or nutrasoil (which I'm using) and is an active substrate. I.e. it will contain nutrients but will also leach ammonia in to the tank at startup. Not a bad thing as it will help you do the cycle. I think most of the far east breeders use active soils as they help lower the PH which is apparently good for the shrimp

Also how much would i roughtly need for a tank of this size ?

I used 5 litres but I did go for a big big slope

Wood & Rock: I was thinking of using some Manzanita wood with some Mini Landscape rock from aquaessentials possibly the 5kg option, http://www.aquaessen...-kg-p-1437.html

small bits of manzi look lovely. Be careful about rock. I used pagoda and it leached into my tank. Sent the hardness up fast. I believe mini landscape might do the same. I'm only using wood and lava stone now

Plants: Hemianthus Callitrichoides, Java Fern & Alternanthera Cardinalis. Im open for ideas on this so please feel free to fire any ideas my way. Do you have any recommendations for plants that shrimp would need such as moss ?

Definitely go for moss. I keep trying and failing to grow HC in mine. Currently doing ok but have only just shifted from hi tech to low tech. Java fern will do fine.

Ferts: El Dosing or Flourish ? What would be the best option for shrimp ?

EI might be a bit too much for a small shrimp tank. That's a lot of stuff to be throwing in there. However, probably worth doing if you're going for injected co2. I'm currently using about 3ml of TPN+ a week

Co2: Will i need to use any form of Co2 such as Flourish Excel ? Also will the shrimp be ok with it ?

depends what you're growing. With HC, almost certainly. Mosses and ferns, then no. Dead easy to kill things with liquid carbon but with a small tank it's also really easy to kill them with injected co2

Shrimp: Red Cherry Shrimp, how many could i have in this size tank ?

there's a theory that they start dying off when the population gets too large. others reckon they'll stop breeding. L_Plates' numbers sound ok

This is a new area for me and before so thought i would get some tips and ideas from the experts .

So what do you think of my ideas ? Please feel free to point out any mistakes, stupid ideas i may have written.

Like i say i have never tried a shrimp tank before so i am happy for any advice before i make a start.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for all the questions.

keep a journal

LP

Plans sound good,

I think your going to need full on gas co2 for the hc to be honest pal, your best bet if trying to do things for cheaper I would just use a decorative sand as a base out front with a few moss rocks around the border of you MLS stone.

Thanks for the replies guys they have been very helpful.

Looks like i will be ordering the rock, wood and florabase soon so i can mess around with some ideas. Then decide on some plants.

I am worried about the HC but i fancy giving a carpet effect a go. Is there anything similar to HC that you would recommend i try and will grow without pressurized Co2?

I dont want to go pressurized in this tank my main tank has FE Co2 but i want to avoid it for this one.

Cheers
LP

If you could go for DIY co2(yeast) I'd say glossostigma, it will have a better chance, I grew mine in. 20l with DIY co2 and it carpeted like a weed, BUT i think the light could be an issue IME as I had 18w over my 20.

If you spill out some money of a goooood portion of moss, you'll get a good covering and after 2 weeks shouldn't notice the string you tied it with.

Moss carpets are cool too

I think moss may be the way i decide to go. What would you recommend is the best moss for carpets ?

LP

Hi all,
I think moss may be the way i decide to go.
I'd agree, "which moss?" would depend on how quickly you want the carpet to grow. If you don't mind slow growth Fissidens would be an option, have a look at "London Dragon"'s moss tank post. Java moss would be the quickest, but a bit untidy.

I'd be tempted to try something like Peacock, Taiwan or Xmas moss. I'd probably start on a mesh, although the moss will then spread out across the substrate.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I think moss may be the way i decide to go.
I'd agree, "which moss?" would depend on how quickly you want the carpet to grow. If you don't mind slow growth Fissidens would be an option, have a look at "London Dragon"'s moss tank post. Java moss would be the quickest, but a bit untidy.

I'd be tempted to try something like Peacock, Taiwan or Xmas moss. I'd probably start on a mesh, although the moss will then spread out across the substrate.

cheers Darrel

Cheers DW,

I have Java Moss in my community tank and as you say it can get untidy so that is a definite no no for me in this tank.

I will take a look into the other mosses you have kindly mentioned to me. I would like the moss to spread out how quickly i am not to worried, as long as its tidy and not stringy like java moss i will be happy.

I have tried to find the topic you mentioned but i cannot locate it, any chance of a link ?

Cheers
LP

Back