• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any reptile or amphibian keepers?

Have a bearded dragon.

spike3.jpg

No plants required.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I've kept plenty in the past, leopard geckos, rainbow boas, too many tree frogs to remember, fire salamanders and dart frogs. Unfortunately I just have a pair of Dendrobates Tinctorious Azureus at the moment which I hope to breed. I'm currently building a 4.5 x 2 x 2 feet paludarium for them :D

Dart frogs are my major hobby really.

I wanted to get into dart frogs a while ago but the missus has a fear of frogs and said no.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I've got a crested gecko. Had him over a year now.
4d60b2c2-31d5-11af.jpg

Wow, uploaded images on tapatalk don't half get raped with pic quality

Attachments

• 4d60b2c2-31d5-11af.jpg
    4d60b2c2-31d5-11af.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 4d60b2c2-31d5-11af.jpg
    4d60b2c2-31d5-11af.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 106
Better version of the water bowl picture
2011-06-25190920.jpg

Part Dalmation, part extreme harlequin when fired up
2011-06-10192055.jpg

What it looked like when I first did it in Feb this year
IMG_0238.jpg

Got 2 bromeliads in there and a ficus plant. Ficus is now grown over the top of the viv, gecko likes to sleep up there out of the way. Needs more branches in there though. Also has bio active substrate, bought some tropical woodlice and springtails off the net, not changed the soil in about a year as they eat all the poop and any mould that grows. Make sure you mist the tank once a day. I do mine at lights out so it doesn't dry out before he wakes up.

Need any help, gimme a shout

First 2 photos taken with a Galaxy s2 for anyone wanting to know.

ghostsword said:
I.

The issue is price, aren't frogs really expensive and hard to keep?

Expensive? Depends on species. Common species you can get for as little as £25 each from private breeders, the more expensive species can be over £100 each.

Hard to keep? Again, depends on species. If you get the set up correct before adding frogs they're not so hard. You will need to practice culturing fruit flies though.

My stuff, now massively overgrown....

281283_217797414931532_100001038261812_666283_4312835_n.jpg

5950496568_30dfdf3cef_b.jpg

5950508482_5356741b8c_b.jpg

5950477574_e1d04e2457_b.jpg

Attachments

• 5950496568_30dfdf3cef_b.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 5950496568_30dfdf3cef_b.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 5950508482_5356741b8c_b.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 5950508482_5356741b8c_b.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 5950477574_e1d04e2457_b.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 116
  • 5950477574_e1d04e2457_b.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 123
That is what I am talking about, how amazing are those setups? Way better than most planted tanks. :)

I don't see many people using the normal aquatic plants we have, why not? Hygrophilas, Anubias, and ferns would do very well there.

Also, misting? Do you make your own setup, or anything that you could recommend to buy ready made? I was looking at mistking, but their pages stopped working.

EDIT:
Found this:
http://www.vivariumland.com/product_inf ... cts_id=141

May get a pump from them, or is there something you would recommend that I could find in the UK?

I am looking at using it for emersed plants and moss, and maybe one day frogs.

I just use a mist bottle and spray it by hand. Can buy systems, polywog do good ones, only thing is you need to buy a seconds timer and they aren't cheap! Plants are usually bromeliads, weeping moss, spagnum moss, ficus, ferns and any air/house plants. Gotta be careful with some though as they can be poisonous to some amphibians and reptiles, especially sappy woods like pine. Going to over haul mine after christmas, going to make a background out of expanding foam, silicon and coco fibre with plants built into the background.

Si-man

Try the gorilla glue method, much easier than expanding foam and silicone. You don't need a seconds timer, I use a normal timer and use 60 second spray times on 3 times a day.

ghostsword said:
That is what I am talking about, how amazing are those setups? Way better than most planted tanks. :)

I don't see many people using the normal aquatic plants we have, why not? Hygrophilas, Anubias, and ferns would do very well there.

Also, misting? Do you make your own setup, or anything that you could recommend to buy ready made? I was looking at mistking, but their pages stopped working.

EDIT:
Found this:
http://www.vivariumland.com/product_inf ... cts_id=141

May get a pump from them, or is there something you would recommend that I could find in the UK?

I am looking at using it for emersed plants and moss, and maybe one day frogs.

I would definitely get a mistking if you can. They are the best by far and the most quiet.

I have some anubias in the water area hidden in the corner.

Why not use aquatic/marsh plants? Until I got into planted tanks I didn't know you could! My paludarium build will utilise more aquatic plants.

Actually, I threw some stems from my planted tank in one of my unused terrariums, just lying on the floor, thought they'd make compost but they've actually continued to grow!

Yeah, I got a vivarium of sorts, using it on a primary school, and I put there Crypts, ferns and riccia. Also getting some staurogyne and ranunculus for it. Got some anubias and indian fern growing on the expanding wall foam I made, but misting is an issue. The teachers are meant to spray twice a day, but they not always do so. :(

So if I could get something automatic it would be good, then just change water once a week. It would have a 10cm water level, so with a reservoir for 10L I would be ok.

Any shop on the UK you could recommend for the mister? I would rather buy it on the UK than buying from abroad, but if I have no choice then so be it. :)

http://www.dartfrog.co.uk/equipment/climate.html

I use the basic system but with 6 nozzles and it's a little stretched. If you only want to power say 2/3/4 nozzles, then the basic system would be good. It is rather noisy however.

The ENT pump is also good I hear. ENT are a German company but you can also buy their products from the above site.

Mark (the owner) also has a fantastic shop near Birmingham which is well worth a visit. You can also pick his brains on all things dartfrog while you're there.

There's also the pollywog system to consider.

http://shop.pollywog.co.uk/index.php/cPath/5_27

Tom said:
Morgan Freeman, what moss is that you have growing in the frog tank? How much moisture does it get?

I have Java moss, wild UK moss (growing for over a year and still going strong) flame moss and various mosses from a dried pack I purchased from www.dartfrog.co.uk. Stick them in a blender with some water and paste on. I also use tree fern root as a background, given enough light and moisture it will began to sprout ferns and moss from spores in the fern root, as mine has done.

You cannot let it dry out, at all. I have a small patch where the spray doesn't quite reach and the moss is dead. Humidity is around 80-90%. Bear in mind that's a little high for crested geckos.

I'll take some close up pictures if you like.

My humidity goes from 90% at night down to roughly 60% then back up again. Need fluctuations to stop them getting lung infections. I was looking at getting that Exo Terra monsoon mister as everything is built in and doesnt look ugly so can have it on show. Dartfrog is the best website to get stuff from, bloody fast delivery too. Yeah, was looking at the gorilla glue method on RFUK before. Might have to give that one a try.

Back