• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Soil cycling and bacteria

Rabb.D

hello,

i think i'm finally beginning to understand how to keep a planted tank, but still have a few questions that i need help with...

with regards to developing nitrifying bacteria, and ADA's method of using their product penac w, penac p, tourmaline bc, bacter 100 and clear super and whatnot... can i just use the power sand at the bottom most and aquasoil on top and do the soil cycling leaving it for 1-2 months instead of using these products, to save money?

a squeeze of mulm or some gravel from a cycled tank will do just as much as bacter 100..

the other products do not form part of cycling.

ok so.. while i give it a read, ill just ask another question to get a quick answer...

so from what I'm getting so far, even the power sand is not necessary as it depletes in a month and is a wasted source of space for nitrifying bacteria, since we already have the filter to do that? that's it??

or do we still need it to circulate the substrate

A cheaper solution is to add a fine layer of "JBL Filter Boost" before adding the soil if you don't have mulm from another tank.
My next tank with amazonia won't feature power sand, I'm tired of picking it from everywhere when pulling out plants.

Mike

Back