• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why should you grow your own bugs!

The water they are on is clear, no more green algae. They are fat and brown, not red but the fish like them a lot. I also feed them to the dwarf frog I have.

They are very cool critters to watch, would look cool on a magnifying glass tank, if such thing exists.

The best is that mosquito larvae also
appear on the tank, making it a perfect source of food for the fish.

Ben M said:
I have a big tub outside with loads of moss balls in. It is full of mosquito larvae and bloodworm (I think) ATM.

I've just broken down and packed away my "outdoor bug tank for the winter" The tank was cultured by just a couple of those little bags of Daphnia from the LFS. These guys thrived and multiplied throughout the summer. Mosquito lavae and bloodworm naturally found their way into there too, towards the end of the summer. Once the tank got going I must admit that I never even conciously fed the tank with any sort of food etc (just sustained itself) I was able to comfortably feed my fish 3 x weekly using this lot and was able to give alot away to friends

Anyhow, the point of this post is just to say that if you've never grown your own bugs before, you really should consider giving it a go next summer - Really is a rewarding and satisfying experience and I'll be doing again next summer for sure :thumbup:

spyder said:
I will be trying this for sure next year. I'll be using one of those plastic storage containers, maybe around 60-70l.

I know that is what alot of people use :) I used an old 3 foot tank which I think offers a few benefits over the plastic tub (maybe I'm wrong on this though) Firstly, theres a bit more surface area for the mozzies to land and drop there eggs etc and I think that perhaps the biggest benefit for me was the glass sides let in lots of sunlight so I always had green water for them to feed on - not sure if this is the case so much with the plastic tubs???

Forgot to mention that I did do periodic unscheduled 50% water changes to

Spyder, you'll enjoy it either way.....really worth the effort (all be it very minimal :) )

There is no way that Daphnia will appear by itself. :) nothing appears by itself. the universe did!

Back