• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low-tech aquarium...Update

Re: Low-tech aquarium

Hi not all peat is created equal. Peat is made up of decomposed vegetation of all types - trees, grasses, fungi, and insects and other animal remains. It forms because the organic matter is prevented from decaying completely by highly acidic and anaerobic conditions found in some wetlands such as bogs and mires.

Sphagnum Moss Peat is formed primarily from Sphagnum moss (would you believe), and is the least decomposed of the general categories of peat. It is often milled and so has a more homogeneous and predictable structure and perhaps chemical composition so it is better for use in aquaria. Make sure though that it does not have any additives, such as fertilisers as they may prove harmful to fish. Irish moss peat is your best bet.

Hope you enjoy the book, I didn't know there was a more up to date version, I have just ordered it as well.

foxfish said:
One would have to say that for a non C02 injected tank & after only six weeks growth, your tank is outstanding!
Never have I seen such prolific 'low tech' growth documented before!!

Thanks...I mean really? That's very kind of you to say so. I think that once the plants get their roots in to the soil there is no stopping them, all other parameters being favourable that is, not least of which is lighting.

Well it is interesting to come across someone who has a different approach & seems to be having great success.

As a rule it would seem that inert clay impregnated with micronutrients such as Iron and Magnesium & a high CEC like the expensive ADA products are by far the most effective when EI principles & gas are used?

However if you can get long term healthy (& fast!) growth from the plants using your principles it might prove a lot of us are waisting good money!

The High-Tech Way or the Highway?

Can I be perfectly frank, and I don’t mean to sound rude or to be deliberately contentious, but when I decided to return to the hobby on a whim after more than 25 years absence to say I was aghast at how much had changed is an understatement. Or rather I couldn’t for the life of me understand why so many aquarists were spending so much time, effort, and money on what I considered gismos and gadgets to set up high-tech aquariums; when similarly stunning results could be achieved the “low-tech” way with minimum effort and very little expenditure: and especially despite Diana Walstads book; who incidentally I knew nothing about until a couple of months ago.

I have pretty much always set up my tanks with soil based substrate. Well I say always that’s not completely true. In the beginning some 35 years ago at the tender age of 11 (god I’m old) I started just like everyone else by putting plants in an aquarium furnished with pea gravel and a single tungsten bulb. The plants did ok for a month or so and then started to decay and everything became covered in algae.

Then my parents, who were keen to indulge my passion, to keep me out of mischief, brought me a subscription to “The Aquarist” and brought me a very big book by a Dutchman and it all changed overnight. Anyway, cut a long story short, I soon had several tanks heavily planted with a not insignificant list of species that seemed to thrive in the local hard water conditions, contrary to almost every other expert author I’d read. The key to this success seemed to be soil based substrate, peat filtration, and good lighting. It wasn’t rocket science, and once I knew it worked it really was child’s play. So at a time when many aquarists were leaving the hobby in frustration because they kept killing their plants and fish I was giving them away because I had too many.

35 years on perhaps nothing has really changed that much. It seems that the knowledge base that I had access to all those years ago has simply disappeared, or been regurgitated only to fall on deaf ears. And despite 10 or so years since its first run, the “Walstad Way” is still either largely misunderstood, or regarded as either too contentious, or too risky to try. Instead the general consensus is that, to have even a remote chance of success at maintaining a planted tank, it is essential to have CO2 injection, and a huge filter that turns over at least 10 times the capacity of the aquarium, and drop testers, and lily pipes, and constant dosing with fertilizers, and frequent water changes, and bubble counters, and diffusers, and inert clay substrates impregnated with nutrients; the list is seemingly endless.

All the aquarist forums are full of buzz words such as Estimative Index (which seems like overkill to say the least, and yes I do understand the science behind it, so equally I can understand the attraction), and Nature Aquariums and Biomes. The latter, at least, are nothing new; within a year I had moved on from a community tank and had set up very successful biomes. The most notable amongst them were an Amazon biome in a 50 gallon tank, and an Asian one in a 20 gallon tank and all without recourse to soda siphon cylinders, industrial hurricane like filtration, and fertilizers, and what is more I kept them going for years and years…trouble free, I might add.

Anyway, I digress, so back to the original point. I can see the attraction of the high-tech method; all those gadgets and gizmos, I am tempted by new toys just as much as the next bloke, and I will set up a high-tech tank at some stage so that I can play too, but also to compare directly the two methods; high-tech and low-tech. But I kind of know already that the law of diminishing returns will probably not warrant the huge investment a high-tech setup requires; especially when all indications are that a low-tech set up can also achieve stunning results too.

I also think, and I am sure it has been said before, that there is something of a blind spot when it comes to the low-tech method, and many aquarists have never heard of it let alone dared try it. Probably because putting soil in an aquarium is counter intuitive and goes against everything an aquarium is perceived to be. A low-tech set up is also perceived as being too close for comfort to the aquarium that caused the failing hobbyist so much pain and grief in the first place. So as a consequence all those aquarists that left the hobby in despair - and there are lots of them - think they have tried everything already.

However, the more persistent and optimistic amongst them have searched for an alternative and discovered the high-tech method and understandably consider it the answer to all their aquarium dreams; an aquarist panacea. And lets face it it’s not hard to discover, just type a search for “aquarium” in Google and it throws countless references to the “high-tech” with little if anything referring to the “low-tech”. This is hardly surprising really since we live in a very commercial world. If there’s a buck to be had manufacturers and retailers naturally scramble to create and satisfy market demand. And before you know it everyone jumps on the bandwagon and the high-tech niche market becomes big business overnight perpetuating the perception that the high-tech way is the only way.

Meanwhile, the low-tech blind spot grows, and vested interests, especially Japanese ones (mentioning no names), do the rest and cleverly market the high-tech method using a unique and stunning set of skills. And so the myth is borne, grows and is perpetuated at the expense of the alternatives, and also a growing number of aquarist’s bank accounts. So before you take the high-tech plunge consider the low-tech method and let nature do the hard work for a change. Honestly, it really isn’t rocket science and once the basic principles are grasped the benefits are there for the reaping.

Troi - research ecologist, writer, and underwater gardener.

Hi all,
As a rule it would seem that inert clay impregnated with micronutrients such as Iron and Magnesium & a high CEC like the expensive ADA products are by far the most effective when EI principles & gas are used?
Both the clay from the soil and the peat will have very high CEC's. It is the intact hyaline cells in the peat that have the CEC, the living sphagnum moss is very efficient at exchanging metal ions for H+ ions, and this continues after the plants death, as long as the cells are intact. Same with the clays in the soil, these will have a higher CEC than if they had been calcined. I wouldn't think there would be any real reason why Troi's mix should be sub-optimal, and I would think it would compete pretty favourably with all other nutrient enriched substrates.

If you are using EI, the substrate becomes much less important as the nutrients are supplied to the water column and the substrate is really there for physical support. In that case CO2 can be thought of as just another nutrient that is at non-growth limiting levels in the water column.

cheers Darrel

In that case perhaps you & Troi get get together & market your special brew & show us gas freaks how it is done :D

Incidentally I was using the high tech, at the time, combination of - "2 x 40w incandescent bulbs, leaf litter & peat mix" 40 years ago!
All I got was overheating water, slow growth & algae LOL.

Hi exactly my point. The real strength of the method is that most plants preferentially take up most of their nutrients from the substrate and only uptake from the water column when the substrate is comparably deficient, so using soil based substrates sometimes has greater benefit than water column dosing.

The most important exception for us, as fish keepers, is ammonium which plants prefer to uptake through their leaves, straight from the water column. However, they will still quite happily uptake it from the substrate too. In those terms a soil based substrate will compete very favourably with other nutrient enriched substrates and without additional water column fertilisation.

In that case perhaps you & Troi get get together & market your special brew & show us gas freaks how it is done

It had crossed my mind, but then I am far too altruistic so after much deliberation I decided to share my wisdom so that everyone can benefit from its magnificence :D.

Also good to exchange views with another veteran pioneer, I don't see why we should let the youngsters steal all the glory.

I would be interested to see how your new tank develops especially if you attempt & nice scape with some of the more challenging plants - that would really prove a point!

I was visiting a friend's house recently & spotted a small tank bubbling away in a corner.
On closer inspection I noticed a spectacular Anubis growing in the tank, I asked for some details & apparently the tank has been there for over 10 years with only the very occasional light change, same gravel & never received a water change.
There was only one fish, a Molly but the plant was huge & beautiful - now that is low tech!

Hi, thanks for that George. Now I know about Aquatics Live I would love to have gone, it looks like a fantastic event, but unfortunately I can't. Its a shame because I would have liked to meet you too. But I guess its one of several annual events in the aquarists calendar (although this one seems a cut above) so I will look out for the next one.

I was visiting a friend's house recently & spotted a small tank bubbling away in a corner.
On closer inspection I noticed a spectacular Anubis growing in the tank...apparently the tank has been there for over 10 years with only the very occasional light change, same gravel & never received a water change.
There was only one fish, a Molly but the plant was huge & beautiful - now that is low tech!

That certainly is low-tech. Its amazing what some people take for granted without realising its true value.

I thoroughly intend to take up the challenge of trying to grow more "difficult" plants the low-tech way. Especially, since it seems that elsewhere in this site my well intentioned rant has stirred up something of a hornets nest. The gauntlet appears to have been well and truly thrown out of the pram.

Sorry I know you shouldn't mix your metaphors but I couldn't resist :D.

This is low tech. One i did a while back. No co2, ferts or water changes. I did it in about 10 weeks.

I prefer the 'high tech route'

Troi said:
Hi, thanks for that George. Now I know about Aquatics Live I would love to have gone, it looks like a fantastic event, but unfortunately I can't. Its a shame because I would have liked to meet you too. But I guess its one of several annual events in the aquarists calendar (although this one seems a cut above) so I will look out for the next one.
Cool. There's always next year.

I look forward to following the progress of your aquarium and also hope your quest to bring to balance the non-CO2 enriched hobby goes well. There's some great aquascapes out there using the 'El natural' method, it's just their overwhelmed by the majority that take a higher-energy path. I prefer the term "high-energy" over "high-tech".

Hi Mark (not George)

That is simply sublime, if I can get to within a country mile of your "low energy" set up I'll be doing well indeed.

Troi said:
Hi George

That is simply sublime, if I can get to within a country mile of your "low energy" set up I'll be doing well indeed.

I prefer the term "high-energy" over "high-tech".

Great terminology and so appropriate in more ways than one, I will use it from now on.
Just to clarify that the above video is from Mark's tank, not mine, as your post seems to indicate.

I'd also be very happy with said set up!

And George (not Mark)

I prefer the term "high-energy" over "high-tech".

Great terminology and so appropriate in more ways than one, I will use it from now on.

Troi said:
Hi not all peat is created equal. Peat is made up of decomposed vegetation of all types - trees, grasses, fungi, and insects and other animal remains. It forms because the organic matter is prevented from decaying completely by highly acidic and anaerobic conditions found in some wetlands such as bogs and mires.

Sphagnum Moss Peat is formed primarily from Sphagnum moss (would you believe), and is the least decomposed of the general categories of peat. It is often milled and so has a more homogeneous and predictable structure and perhaps chemical composition so it is better for use in aquaria. Make sure though that it does not have any additives, such as fertilisers as they may prove harmful to fish. Irish moss peat is your best bet.

Hope you enjoy the book, I didn't know there was a more up to date version, I have just ordered it as well.

Thanks for the info. So what does the soil and grit do?

Hi all,
I thoroughly intend to take up the challenge of trying to grow more "difficult" plants the low-tech way. Especially, since it seems that elsewhere in this site my well intentioned rant has stirred up something of a hornets nest. The gauntlet appears to have been well and truly thrown out of the pram.
We do go down this route every now and then and have some "lively" debate. You might like to have a look at this post: <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8834>.

cheers Darrel

Back