• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AM1000 Reactor Diffusion Question

Quetzalcoatl

Hi UKAPs.

I recently won a AM1000 Co2 Reactor from Ebay. :clap: After setting the unit up I was a bit dissapointed to notice that I`m not managing full diffusion of Co2, Instead I am getting what can only be described as an "ejaculation" of undissolved Co2 periodically from my outlet.

I don`t know if I`m using the correct media for the unit, as it didn`t come with any! I am currently using (Don`t laugh) filter floss in the top half, and a shower scrunchie in the bottom half. It seems to be doing a good enough job, my checker is green, although I have had to increase the injection rate to compensate, my plants are still pearling (Just about), and my fish seem alot happier. I was using an Up Atomizer previous, and my fish didn`t like the mist one bit!!

What are other members using in there AM`s and what media do you find most effective?

Many thanks! :thumbup:

stuworrall said:
TGM recommend using Siporax but I think any hard filter media will help (as long as its not too small to blow through the pipes!). Be aware though that it will drop your flow through the unit.

I am also just about to start using a AM1000 Co2 Reactor, I have opted to use 'Sera Siporax 15mm' how much would you fill the unit up with this though? about 75% or right to the top?

Gary Nelson said:
stuworrall said:
TGM recommend using Siporax but I think any hard filter media will help (as long as its not too small to blow through the pipes!). Be aware though that it will drop your flow through the unit.

I am also just about to start using a AM1000 Co2 Reactor, I have opted to use 'Sera Siporax 15mm' how much would you fill the unit up with this though? about 75% or right to the top?
thats a good question but I dont actually own one sorry! probably someone who has one already will be along but I'd guess 75% will be fine.

Course sponge like you would use in a filter, or more like a domestic sponge that you`d clean your car with? I was aware that my flow would be reduced, however I didn`t think it would be reduced quite as much as it is! This maybe due to my selection of media though. I`m already well below recommended flow rate. That will be my next investment. A bigger filter. Only running a 2026 and a Korali nano on a 180ltr. I am struggling somewhat?

I like the idea of that. You mean the black sponge that comes with the tetratec! I have an old Ex700 that is now on my sons 60ltr. I may have to *Ahem* reclaim the sponges from it?

Hi all

Just to put a spanner in the works :lol: .
I run mine without any media in it, have done for the last 2 years at least. Don't have any problems when connected to a 1200lph filter. A gas pocket becomes visible at the top of the reactor by the end of the gas period but my gas goes off 2 hours before the lights, and by the time this happens, the build up of gas has gone (one has to assume dissolved :D ).

I run mine without media, I get a very lime green drop checker with no discharge. I found the key was controlling flow, by splitting the output from my filter to the reactor and external heater I have full control.

:wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed: What!! No media? Are you guys mental? This I will have to try.

Madlan.
I was looking at introducing a external heater to my system. Do you have the reactor, and the heater on the same output line, or do you use a splitter?

Another question regarding the AM1000. My Eheim uses 16/22mm hose. The input/output nozzles on the reactor accomodate these and also the smaller hose 12/16mm? Is it normal practice to hack off the smaller connection if your hoses are the larger variety. Would increase flow?

Cheers.

Quetzalcoatl said:
What!! No media? Are you guys mental?
It has been known for one or two of us to have the odd screw loose :lol: but it works for me :D

Quetzalcoatl said:
Another question regarding the AM1000. My Eheim uses 16/22mm hose. The input/output nozzles on the reactor accomodate these and also the smaller hose 12/16mm? Is it normal practice to hack off the smaller connection if your hoses are the larger variety.
That's exactly what I did, and it does increase the flow :D

I posted some pics in my journal of the output from my FX5, it's spilt with a Y splitter to the reactor and heater which rejoin before connecting to the outlet.

I hesitated for a week until Ceejay assured me it was meant to be cut, glad I did as flow would have been restricted.

Can you give me a link to your journal pal? I am currently trolling eBay for a second hand FX5. I plan on using the AM1000 and the Hydor external heater with it too on my new scape. I would be interested to see your planning/progression with this equipment?

Thanks.
P.s Are you refering to cutting the nozzle attachments that Ceejay refers to also??

Devil you do, devil you don`t kind of scenario here? I want to keep as much equipment out of the tank as possible. I was aware that flow will be gretaly reduced but figured with 2300l/h I may still be somewhere near capacity with my 180ltr? That`s why I wanted the FX5. What size hose do they use. I was pressuming that they would be 16mm like the Eheim. Foolish of me!

splitting the lines on an fx5 then reducing them to accomodate an am1000 and inline heater would surely reduce flow a fair bit?
So are you saying that I will have to use a reducer aswel as a splitter?? :(

Internal hose diameter on the fx5 is 25mm mate. Pretty big hence why I built my own reactor. What the splitter probably is, is 25mm single, then each of the two split sections that run off it are 16mm. So you'd not need to buy anything else to reduce it further.
The fx5 is 2300 l/h but when tested was proven to be just over 1900 litres an hour with media. If returns are via spray bars then shouldn't be too bad.
I looked at reducing the tubes to 16mm but it was worked out that I'd get around 59% flow reduction.

59% :wideyed: Wowzers! That`s alot to loose. I will keep the standard hoses, and split the line then. I can possibly live with the loss of flow caused by the splitting if it satisfies my minimalist O.C.D!

I`m planning on a Iwagumi inspired scape, flow patterns inside the tank shouldn`t be too restricted in regards to plant mass, however the hardscape could cause me problems? The plan is to use only carpeting plants and Blyxa? Careful layout planning will be needed!

I have a couple of Koralia nanos knocking about if needed, but then this is kind of defeating the object of keeping stuff out of the tank.

You don`t know of another filter out there that could be a viable alternative, now that you know my grand plan? :shh:

Back