• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"vitro cup" plants. anyone tried them?

tom_os

I am interested if anybody has bought and tried one of these vitro cup plants. i have seen them for sale in some maidenhead aquatic stores. they are basically a small plastic tub with a nutrient rich growing gel in the bottom.the plants are grown in this and i think you just put the gel into the substrate and the plant roots through it.

i have seen them with 4 different plant species:
E.tenellus
Sagittaria subulata
Utricularia
Riccia

has anyone tried these?

I've used a prototype version of these.

Something to look out for the future, for sure. 3 month shelf-life, no algae, no snails, minimal overheads for the retailer...

Who was the manufacturer and cost of the 'vitro cups' you saw, please? I wasn't aware they were on the market yet.

I've used some HC by "Anubias" I thought they were good but the gel melted into a disgusting gloop on the substrate. I never got much further than a month into it, the tank got stripped down after the light broke on my cube.

George Farmer said:
I've used a prototype version of these.

Something to look out for the future, for sure. 3 month shelf-life, no algae, no snails, minimal overheads for the retailer...

Who was the manufacturer and cost of the 'vitro cups' you saw, please? I wasn't aware they were on the market yet.

I think they were Aquadistri (Aquafleur) priced at £4.75

We are just now seeing them in the US. They are packed in plastic sealed bags with vitro media. Pretty cool, but not enough assortment, that I have seen. Shelf life is amazing, and no bugs/algae/snails or tons of cost involved for LFS

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

There is not much assortment for vitro plants in bags, there are over 60 species available in cups, because they are faster to grow.

almost 90% of my plants are from vitro cups, they grow just perfect. Will give some example. If You use Didipilis Diandra vitro cup form, it has 2-3 cm little stems. After 2 weeks after planting plant is fully grown 20-25cm stems. Of course it is possible if you use CO2 and proper fertilizing.

I think the portions are rather nice, however the price is not as attractive compared to standard aqua plants.

Price is definitely cheaper comparing to standard potted plants such as Tropica and as was said you get bigger amount comparing to standard pot. I've seen it myself.

It depends on how much You have to pay. I have small cups with at least 50 stems for $7, regular pots have 5-8 stems for $5-$8.

Thats about the same here. Stems usually number for 40-100 easy. The Hairgrass is enough to plant a 60cm tank very well from the start.

Back