• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55 Iwawoody.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 new video added

Mark Evans said:
clonitza said:
The joys of trimming riccia.

ianho said:
Mark and ready for a trim i reckon.

Tell me about it. I've not touched it yet, but i'm going to have to do it soon :?

I have trimmed Riccia by using Eheim gravel cleaner near the scissors and with the tank filters turned off. Little to no problem. :D

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 the 3 week update!

Hi Mark, :wave:

I've been following your journal since it's beginning, and as always, I have only the best words for you :clap:
I really like both the aquascape and the overall condition after 3 weeks :thumbup:

Just go ahead, I wish you all the best with this one :thumbup:

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 the 3 week update!

Aquadream said:
I have trimmed Riccia by using Eheim gravel cleaner near the scissors and with the tank filters turned off. Little to no problem.
thanks for the tip :thumbup:

LondonDragon said:
super growth as always, another 3 weeks and you can start a new scape

that'd be nice :lol:

Sonnyarba said:
I wish you all the best with this one

Thanks you :)

I've had a tidy up this evening, trimming out a lot of Vesuvius. I've cleared the whole foreground, so it looks much tidier.

The glosso and 'tiering' is now on view

3-WEEK-TRIM.jpg

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 the 3 week update and trim!

I enjoy watching your water changes:)

that looks loads better, I actually think the right side looks great!

Very nice Mark, it's just looking better and better each time I see it :thumbup:

PS, it was good to see the master at work at aquatics live... A really good set up you did.

Gary Nelson said:
Very nice Mark, it's just looking better and better each time I see it :thumbup:

PS, it was good to see the master at work at aquatics live... A really good set up you did.

I'm not sure about master :lol: ...sick and not feeling so well maybe. Hence the 'scape as fast as you can' and get out of there.

ianho said:
I actually think the right side looks great!

It's my fave bit to, Many amano ideas copied i'm afraid. Nothing new. the left is not as strong. The more i look at the layout, the more floors i see :twisted: always bad, because i always feel like starting again.

Orlando said:
I enjoy watching your water changes:)

I dont enjoy doing them :lol:

So, for Ian, the right hand side.

the-right.jpg

really adds the depth on that side...with the smaller branch also going off down there. Really nice.

ianho said:
really adds the depth on that side...with the smaller branch also going off down there. Really nice.

Yeah, i'm happy with that part. So tempting to start all over and redesign the tank. o_O

120 x 55 x 55 the 3 week update and trim!

Mark - this is amazing growth (leaving aside the art!)

Could you do a quick summary of all the technical / science bits? Would be very helpful...! Here's what I think I know:

Water changes: 3 times 30% water changes a week, no chlorine prevention (?), water direct from (mixer?) tap (are you fussed about temperature?).

Are you still using a gravel vac at water changes to get dirt up from the substrate, or do you take water from the top and disturb the crud on the bottom as little as possible?

Ferts: tpn+ (not ei) (?) but not sure how much and when

Substrate: ADA aquasoil with ADA powder where HC will grow

Filtration: not sure brand or LPH and not sure what media. But breaking the 10 times flow rule for sure.

Lights: 6hr Photoperiod, 2 times T5

CO2: inline boyu diffuser, FE, lime green drop checker. Checking by eye to see that little bubbles go everywhere.

Inlets: standard Lilly pipe, raised at night to break surface film and get O2 in

No heater (!), but house at a constant balmy 22 degrees

Feeding: once daily, live bloodworms (?) (anything else? frozen ?), switching the filter off each time and adding small amount with tweezers

More shrimp and ottos than you can shake a stick at

Heavy planting from outset

Ruthless trimming of leaves with holes in (if you ever get this?)

Sure there's lots of mistakes in here... Not that I'm trying to directly copy your success or anything...

And finally, is there anything else in your alchemical bag of master tricks? Would be a massive help to those of us who can only look at this in wonder - has done more in 3 weeks than my tank does in 3 months.

I'll do my best to answer Mike. :thumbup:

ADA amazonia only...no powder.

Co2...on 2 hours before lights on. Drop checker only dark green via boyou inline diffuser

Lights...2 x 54t5 for 5 hours. Currently about 10cm from the water. Geissman lighting is by far the best design I've seen. Efficiency is amazing.i.e reflector design

O2 added at night via raising the lilly pipe...rather noisy though.I shut the bedroom door.

Water changes 2 x 50%weekly.seachem declor added. Straight from tap...although i can control the temp. of what comes out of the hot water tap, via a controller on the boiler...especially with winter coming, this is great!

ferts Elos K...3 squrts daily TPN + 10ml every other day. Quite low ferts for a big tank.

Vac areas i can get to. Shrimp crud is quite a lot.

Filtration is really low. Just 1 x JBL 1500LPH. Loaded with seachem carbon, seachem phos remover, and 200ml purigen.

No heater and maintains 21/22c...lower in the mornings.

about 50 amano shrimp, 25 ottos, and about 25 cherrys, 3 CRS and 1crs ss+

Fish get fed bloodworm every 3 days or so.

Trimming as required.

I'm not really sure why my plants grow so quick in the early stages. It's always happened, even when i first started. There's more an element of luck than science. I just dont get the science part.

I'm finding the bigger the tank, the easier it is. I do have slight GSA on some of the stones and a small amount of diatoms, but that's to be expected. Diatoms are no where near as bad as I've had them in the past, and this was the one thing i had to master and get on top of.

I think this just about covers everything i do. :thumbup:

Quick question Mark, what kind of gravel vac do you use ? I'm thinking about getting one myself.

First time seeing this and it really does look nice, superb growth in such a short space of time :thumbup:

Shraptor, I use the cheap £5 symphony from P@H

It's very gentle in its 'suction' so there's no need for concern when hovering over plants like HC etc.

I'm away all week, so wife is in charge. I've rang her and she's says....( unusually) the tank looks stunning. I'm wondering what's gone wrong o_O

Mark Evans said:
I'm away all week, so wife is in charge. I've rang her and she's says....( unusually) the tank looks stunning. I'm wondering what's gone wrong o_O
Maybe there's some balloon rams in there! lol

In all seriousness you've stepped up your 'scaping to another level mate. Kudos.

Back