• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neon Tetras

2 days ago, i bought 8 neon tetras and im guessing the woman who put them in the bag didnt pass her maths exam because i ended up with 9. They were the the little bag for quite a while maybe 1 hour 30mins on the way home. Anyway, this morning i noticed that one of the neons was swimming with its head facing the surface and its tail pointing to the bottom so i quickly moved it into another tank. When i got back from school it was dead. I then noticed that another 2 have started doing this and was wondering what it could be, it cant be an ammonia spike, the tanks been running for about 3 months with only 3 guppies in it too help cycle. I have never tested the water, there are plants in it with DIY CO2 as well as an air pump. The water temp is set too 24C. Can anyone explain whats going on or is it just because i dont really want them all too die. My friend offered too take them off my hands [hes got a shole of about 4 neons and 2 cardinal tetras] but i also bought 3 ottos and 3 rummynose tetras and the tank would just look empty without them, can anyone suggest anything to help?

probably worth testing your nitrites imo, just because its been running for 3 months with 3 fish means nothing to be honest

before the 3 months with those fish, there were 2 12" bala sharks 3 silver dollars 3 convict chichlids 1 bristlenose catfish and 2green sevrums, sold them drained the tank, left about 4 " of water in the bottom and what was left in the filter, so all the good bacteria should still be there.

Depends how long the filter was left not running without food - Ammonia.

Also when you restocked to the lighter bio load your bacteria would die back to handle your current bio load, think of it as not enough food to go around. What size is the tank and what filteration are you using?

Obviously no one can tell from here but I wouldn't rule out iffy fish stocks that may not have been quarantined. There was a recent thread about the mortality rate in neons.

It wasn't running for maybe 3-5 hours. Its a 65G with HW302 filter. Any chance you could like me up to that thread?

They could have been in the bag too long, what your forgetting is that it may not necessarily be ammonia in the tank, more ammonia from the small amount of water they were in for so long, that can have affected them and the signs of ammonia poisoning from the bag wouldbt show immediately.
OR.....it could just be that the fish shop haven't quarantined them long enough and you've unfortunately bought not so good ones. Fish go through a right rigmarole before ending up I'm fish shops, many of which die during transport, then they get popped into different holding tanks once imported, to then be put into different containers to go to suppliers. Who then out them in different containers to send off to fish shops, who then put them in their tanks, so it's one he'll of a stressful journey for them and are lucky to get where they've got, and then to be packed up and taken to our tanks. So it could be that they already were very weak from transport.,

They all seem healthier now, thanks for your replys.

Back