• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New fish at LFS - settling in time.

idris

I'm hoping a NSLFS (that's a Not So Local Fish Shop) is getting in some Dwarf Gouramis tomorrow.

Is it worse to get fish from a LFS the same day as they arrive, or is it good practice for them to settle in to the LFS for a couple of days and then stress them all over again moving to my tank?

Not something I've thought about before, and obviously there's no perfect solution, but I'm wondering what Best Practice should be.

With fresh imported "finicky" species I would leave them in their tanks for a week or so, like Oto's for example.

Gouramis I would consider pretty tough, just use common sense and leave them there if they look bad in anyway. If they look good, active and alert I say go for it.

Would you quarantine these yourself or just add straight to stock?

It wasn't so much a question about quarantining them, but rather the stress the fish would be subject to fro putting them through two changes of environment in a very short period of time. (I was just struggling with how to explain my concerns.)

I've not tried the bottle trap yet. I'm waiting for the last of my new plants to arrive first. Hopefully tomorrow, then I'll try to catch them.

I've found Dwarf Gouramis to be pretty tricky to keep healthy in a shop system. From experience in 3 different shops, they often seem to come in very poor quality in the bag and deteriorate from there :/ I'd wait a couple of weeks. Anything that still looks good after this time should be a good one to get.

Back