• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the nry :) 'Sticks and stones' Rescape/new pics!

Re: Return of the nry :) 'Sticks and stones' Pics added 30/1

Koralia Nano 900 is massively quieter than the Resun, and almost exactly the same size. I prefer the mount from the Resun strangely, but the Koralia one works just lacks as much adjustability.

Vallis is in at rear right, r.rotun moved to the left of the centre rock, but not enough Vallis to spread out as much as I hoped so until it starts to spread the rest will stay as-is for now.

Update from today, some myriophyllum mezianum coming from the free delivery TGM sale last week to replace the rotala green which is heading towards George ASAP when the MM arrives :)

Koralia has had a huge impact on growth and algae, algae is really heading off from the staurogyne lower leaves now, and the substrate - growth from staurogyne is much picked up :)

full3.jpg

Give it another week or two trim and replant and you'll be ready for iaplc. ;)

My pictures are hosted on my own webspace which is unlikely to be blocked by web filters.

Rocks will be cleaned tonight, I've seen BBA before, and whilst growth is now slower than before the Koralia, it is very weird - growing in little tufts, slightly strange to look at!

Rocks cleaned, rotala green gone to George, waiting for the myriophyllum mezianum to start rearing its head above the rocks now:

full4.jpg

looking really nice mate :) i find the vallis is distracting my eyes from the main scape a bit though, but i love the rocks and the stems behind.

Original plan was to have the vallis all along the back - time will tell if that comes off or not :)

Last nights water change proved how much difference the Koralia has made - I had no algae build up on the glass from last week at all. Normally there's a noticeable green film which is scraped off, but nothing at all this week :)

Plant growth has improved as well - the staurogyne is growing much faster, the HC is getting there but still doesn't like the far front left/right of the substrate where it grows much more slowly - I suspect this is down to poor light distribution and there's not much I can do about that really.

Keep debating the mid-ground planting which still doesn't quite work. I agree as above, the vallis isn't quite right, I wonder if a hair grass variant along the back left/right of the tank may work well, as it won't get too high...not sure.

Cheers :)

Still got a little BBA (at least I assume it is BBA, it's very tufty, like mini-blyxa!) on the substrate, keep picking the affected granules out when I see them. Staghorn has gone too, and the HC is slowly getting there, might well see if I can get something in to the IAPLC.

Stems are growing in nicely, getting the hang of this trimming malarky now I think!

The left/right midground is still not working for me, suggestions welcome. I'd like something there, perhaps exending the HC to replace the left/right staurogyne, but then I'd like something to fill in behind to fill the space to the rear glass. Needs to be low growing, but visible above the HC...

Overall I'd like to replace the staurogyne with p.helferi, as I feel the leaf size of the staurogyne is too big for the layout.

Major re-scape using existing materials. Got completely sick of the massive build up of what I can only assume is BBA and a very dark coloured staghorn. I could not get the stuff to stop, and I', unsure what I'm doing wrong - I do wonder if I have too many fish!

Not convinced on the far left upright stick nor the vallis and I need to debate if I want to carpet again:

angleview.jpg

front.jpg

Re: Return of the nry :) 'Sticks and stones' Rescape/new pic

No smaller rocks and yeah, the wood is not quite right though never looks the same in pictures as I view it in reality :)

Sticks and stones have gone, BBA on the substrate is almost none existent, HC is a touch wild on the right however this is where the last of the BBA has hung around so I'm letting it go a bit nuts to get good coverage - it has however been trimmed twice in recent weeks, grows like mad :)

Livestock is still a load of sudanese cardinals, cherry shrimp and 10 pygmy cory which I added last week.

Who'd believe the vallis mini twister started off as about 4 plants all those months ago!

1.jpg

Thats beautiful :thumbup: .

Really like it, the midground planting you've done is a great substitute for wood/rocks as a focal point.
Bug thumbs up!

Thanks all :)

It kind of developed on its own, the lighting (twin T8's) results in the growth pattern of a higher central area with the edging plants growing lower/smaller as they get less light. I took the rocks out as I got sick of cleaning the BBA off them, pretty much the only reason! There is one left hidden under the crypts...

The front-right gets the least light and this area is taking a bit longer to grow in - I've moved a few crypts over there which are slorly taking hold - I'd actually say that this is the first layout I am really happy with, ironic given it grew without much intervention! No idea what will happen next but that's for next year!

Back