• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55 Iwawoody.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 the 3 week update and trim!

sorry George, they're balloon mollies...i popped round and put them in for you Mark.

Great work Mark, this is why i have come back to planted tanks so natural keep it up :clap:

George Farmer said:
In all seriousness you've stepped up your 'scaping to another level mate. Kudos.

Cheers mate.

gillo45 said:
Great work Mark, this is why i have come back to planted tanks so natural keep it up

Thanks gillo.

I've come home after 5 days of being away, and everything's fine. No dosing, well once on Tuesday (the wife put it in) The rest of the week it's had nothing.

On a side note, E Vesuvius, can be trimmed just like e Tenellus. I've hacked mine to the ground, and it now produces smaller leaves :thumbup:

I've just done a huge water change, and i'll do another first thing in the morning.

No pics, as it looks similar to the last pic 8)

A cheeky left side pic :D

Now i know what E Vesuvius does, next time i trim, the left side gets mullered!

4-weeks-3.jpg

Mark Evans said:
A cheeky left side pic :D

Now i know what E Vesuvius does, next time i trim, the left side gets mullered!

Ha! You can see it twisting in fear... :rolleyes:

Everythings looking pretty epic as per, Mark.

Probably to early to say definitively, but how are you finding all the ELOS goodies?

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 the 4 week update

Lovely!

The Vesuvius does look at odds with its rather ornamental, twisted and very vertical structure compared with the remaining plants and hardscape. A tough plant to fit into a Nature Aquarium layout I reckon, but if anyone can do it...

Mark Evans said:
On a side note, E Vesuvius, can be trimmed just like e Tenellus. I've hacked mine to the ground, and it now produces smaller leaves :thumbup:

So you just mowed all the leaves off? I have a plant that is struggling and had to remove a load of leaves. It's picking up slowly but I was curious about hacking it back hard. I have another plant throwing out a nice runner. I intend to grow out the runner for a few more weeks then use the 4-5 fresh plantlets to replant the area. It should look a bit cleaner and tidier that way. :thumbup:

spyder said:
So you just mowed all the leaves off?

Yes mate. Down to the substrate. It recovers with no issues.

George Farmer said:
The Vesuvius does look at odds with its rather ornamental, twisted and very vertical structure compared with the remaining plants and hardscape. A tough plant to fit into a Nature Aquarium layout I reckon, but if anyone can do it...

An experiment at best. I have to make it work though. Cutting it down, and letting it grow shorter, hopefully, should make it blend in a little better.

J Butler said:
Probably to early to say definitively, but how are you finding all the ELOS goodies?

They seem to be doing good. No deficiencies as yet, no GSA on glass, even with phosphate remover in the filter. Minor diatoms, but that's on it's way out now.

Here's the HC from today a week after trimming. It's much shorter than my previous attempts.

hc-rec.jpg

Here's my you tube channel for anyone who hasn't seen it yet

http://www.youtube.com/user/plantedbox?feature=mhee

Can i also thank anyone on this forum who's subscribed. Currently 373 subscribers and growing, thanks everyone :thumbup:

I'll be updating the channel frequently, so keep checking in on it.

ianho said:
nice HC dude!

Cheers Ian.

I've had another trimming session. I've flattened the left side, and cut most of the parvula.

It's still gapy in places, but over all, coming together.

flat-1.jpg

A few more days of being away. I've come back and all is fine. Just 3ml of Elos K40 added.

I may go for a black background on this tank...I've darkened this image to see how it looks.

black-3.jpg

After the trim, everything is recovering nicely. Whats left of the diatoms, is just about gone to. 8)

Looks great Mark - I like the black background, it always makes the lush green on the plants leap out! I would like to see a full tank shot now it's maturing.

looks great with a black backing, makes it look quite mysterious and very natural.

I swear your water clarity get's better with every photo Mark!

If it wasn't put into context by being posted on UKAPS, you really wouldn't be able to tell.

Are you still thinking about an aquascaping book, I want to see this stuff printed! :D

Thanks guys.

Sadly, I probably won't be showing a 'proper' full tank shot until its completed. I'll of course show little snippets and close ups.

My shrimp are looking great and many of the cherries are heavily pregnant.

You are no longer our friend, this is very serious :shifty:
Almost criminal offense. Work of art must be made public 8)

Piece-of-fish said:
You are no longer our friend, this is very serious
Almost criminal offense. Work of art must be made public

I'm not so sure about work of art :?

It's happening again!...The more i look, the more fault i find. I do really hope the white/blue background for final images will takeaway the grey distraction, which is the wall.

There are parts of the layout that i love, and other parts that aren't quite doing it for me. There's still time i guess for things to grow in and appear more natural.

Still with quite low light, very low co2 and extremely low ferts.

The bit of GDA i had on one rock is all but gone now, and Diatoms 98% disappeared.

I'm pretty confident for future layouts in this particular size aquarium :geek:

A few days over 5 weeks and everything is ticking along nicely.

I'm still awaiting babies from the shrimp, and plenty of them are carrying.

I'll see this through to the end, even though some parts just dont sit right.

Moss is great. better than past endeavours. I put that down to lower co2 and ferts. Flow is non existent also.

Here's an image from last night.

5-weeks-b.jpg

Back