• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter media recommendations

jalexst

Hello everybody,

So having finally researched a little about filter media I hear that Carbon can remove plant nutrients from the water.

Currently I am using what arrived with my Fluval 305; Sponges, 3 x Carbon packets, 3 x BioMax ceramic rings, and in addition to that some filter wool.

What I would like to know is what everyone uses, and has had success with and how often you change yours, as the Fluval guide says carbon should be changed monthly and the Ceramic rings every three months.

Also with the recomended media inserted, there is still a lot of room. Is it wise to fill the space with more media? or is there a nock-on negative effect from this?

Thanks for your expertise!

There's no need to change sponges or ceramic rings, just rinse them. I know it's bad business for producers but these medias last for years.

A good mix is:
- sponge prefilter to catch the large things that enter the canister like leaves.
- ceramic rings or plastic tubes to keep the dirt at the bottom of the canister
- bio media (Eheim Substrat Pro, ADA Bio Rio etc.)
Optional the last layer could be Seachem Purigen to improve the water clarity.

Mike

In my little eheim 2217, I removed all but the bottom layer of ceramic and purchased enough of the course blue pads to fill the rest of the space inside.
Believe plant's and substrate to provide enough biological filtration, and choose to fill the canister with mechanical media .Course it too becomes home for bacteria over time.
Have not used carbon for a LONG time ,even in non planted tank's. ;)

Back