• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gourami's

justjason88

Hi guys

Still been pondering over which fish to keep in my community tank and was thinking of getting one or two gourami's, either pearl or dwarf due to their small size and colourful patterns. I know they both will fit well in a community tank, they are hardy and also don't bully small fish or fin nip, but I am looking for anyone who keeps gourami's who can shed some light or tips on if they are suitable for my set up, how many i should keep, etc.

I currently have 6 zebra danios, soon to be 10. Will most probably get either 10 Harlequins or neon tetras, undecided yet, and about 6 corys. I was hoping to keep 1 gourami, or maybe even 2, is this ok or do they need a few of their kind to stay happy? Will they get on ok with the other fish mentioned above? Do they have any specific requirements (i've read they aclimatise to various pH and temperature and pratically eat anything)?

Thanks a lot

Jason

Pearls get considerably bigger than Dwarf Gouramis, but I'd say a pair or trio would be great in a Rio 125 :) It seems pretty rare these days to find any decent quality Dwarf Gouramis - they always seem ill and their patterning is usually pretty rough round here. They always seem to be the first to come down with anything nasty.

Danios would maybe prefer cooler temps than the gourami who enjoy warm,soft water.
Might google .."Iridovirus among dwarf gourami" before making my decision.
Honey gourami, are said not to be as prone to illness as Colisa Ialia and they or Pearl gourami would be my choice assuming the water suited them and space needed is available.
Some of the male Gourami's are noted for being a bit aggressive with other males.

With Gouramies, You can House them in cooler temps from experience. Pearls and Dwarf Honeys do Very Well at room temp and have bred in the past.

Gill said:
With Gouramies, You can House them in cooler temps from experience. Pearls and Dwarf Honeys do Very Well at room temp and have bred in the past.

I have had similar sucesss at temps between 78 and 82 degree's F as per recommendation of breeder in my area,and research .
At cooler temps the fish became sluggish and activity levels were much reduced, which made it much easier for other fishes to snatch the lion's share of food at feeding time.
Some floating plant's in my view is much appreciated by these fish and many other's.
Opinions are as numerous as blades of grass on a golf course. :lol:

Hi all,
I like warm water and lots of floating plants for all Gouramis/Bettas etc unless I know they come from cooler water.
It might be also worth thinking about whether you have a cover glass or not, most Gouramis take some atmospheric air from the water surface, and particularly for young etc. it is important that the air is fully saturated with moisture and at a similar temperature to the water.

cheers Darrel

In the past I have kept Dwarf Flames, Powder Blues, and Honey Gourami. I have lost them all at different times, under different conditions. Dwarf Gourami are exremely sensitive to bacterial infection, and virus (DGD). And as I understand it there is no known cure? :(

My powder blue was a real character though. Every night when it was close to feeding time he would tail whip the glass thermometer making a chiming noise that got the attention of all the other inhabitants. It was like the school dinner bell ringing! :lol:
R.I.P Sporticus...

Went with 3x golden honeys, 1 male and 2 females. They are already finding their favourite hiding spots.

I did notice though they have started to tear off some of my cabomba leaves, can't tell whether they're eating them or not but they keep tugging at them; it may even be algae on the leaves they are eating? They're also eating and digging around some of the java roots on my bogwood (pics in journal). Other than that they are doing fine.

Thanks for the advice

Back