• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Selection of plants

Christor

Ok so I am now seriously looking at my options in terms of plants, I have an idea of what I would like but not sure if the plants I want will really suit my setup

Firstly it is low tech, thats the plan and methods going to be used

Lighting - Currently shopping for T5 high lite, so this will be bought before plants
Filter- The built in bioflow, think it is 600lph? can anyone confirm? was thinking of a powerhead or removing it altogether
No dosing, and no Co2
Substrate will be John Innes and topping with pool filter sand(open to suggestions)

Here is what Id like, and if possible your opinions on either they will or wont work

Background
- Vallis, not picky but something that grows large and will cover the back area nicely
Hygrophila corymbosa, like its shape and colours and seems easily grown
Echinodorus amazonicus, again great shape and nice and big

Mid-ground
Kind of struggling, maybe some crypts or anubias? I like them overall but uncertain on a suitable species for this sort of setup

Foreground/carpet
Hairgrass, May be a little ambitious here but looks brilliant
Echinodorus tenellus, actually prefer it to hairgrass, but again maybe a little out of my league

In terms of moss, im not icky, simply will be attaching to my redmoor and rock, so what works best apart from the obvious Java?

Thanks if you take the time to read, I know its a lot but would mean an awful lot in helping my decide on my final choices :)

What are the dimensions of your tank? Knowing this can help with choosing plants which fit the scale of the layout?

All your plants look good though I think you'll struggle with the hairgrass.

E.Tenellus you should definitely try.

Crypts? They're all awesome and all work great in lower light levels. Pick whatever you like the look of. Maybe Crypt. Balansae for a background plant.

Thanks Morgan for that, hows your project going with a similar low tech setup? im on reptileforums too

Only than that worries me is you're after a low tec set up yet shopping for high out put t5s some thing you may regret.

danmil3s said:
Only than that worries me is you're after a low tec set up yet shopping for high out put t5s

I have the same size tank as yours. It's a fluval Roma 125. Comes standard with 2x24W tubes which is enough for the Low Tech that I keep. On for 7 hours

I use Seachem flourite substrate and dose Seachem Equilibrium (for traces and Calcium + Magnesium) and KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate) and KH2PO4 (Potassium Mono Phosphate) as per Tom Barrs Low Tech Recommendations. This works well for me, but cant comment on the soil and no fertilizer route.

You havent really stated what layout you have in mind. Island type scape? etc. I think for low tech setup, a jungle type look is the best, cause you can just bang a load of plants in and concentrate on keeping them nice and healthy. Most of the low tech tanks I've seen, the growth is abit spindly and wirey, so you do need to consider plant choice carefully as it is more difficult to get the look you've visiualised or see frequently on the CO2 tanks

You should definitely consider some Java ferns for mid-ground. This will grow well and give your tank a nice green bushy appearance.

I've used Hygrophila Rosae Australis (as a background stem) and this has grown well. Maybe worth considering for background too? I have vallis in the background and this grow well though can look a bit patchy. If I could redo my setup again I would use Java fern all the way along the background lengh (attached to some wood so that the Rhizomes sit roughly at the halfway height level) Once grown in, the tips of the leaves should then sit just below the waters surface. Again, I think this would give a nice bushy healthy look.

The plants I keep with success are all plants you've mentioned. Their positioning is roughly similiar to what you've suggested. list below FYI

Java Fern (~Trident, Narrow and needle)
Crypt. Tropica (midground)
Crypt. Balansae (midground)
Crypt. Pontederifilia (midground)
Echinodorus Tenellus (Foreground - Grows slow, produces runners, but very slow...doubt this will ever carpet as in CO2 tank)
Anubias Coffeefolia (midground)
Anubia Nana Golden (midground)
Java moss and willow moss ( Foreground - Grow and suvive, but dont really keep nice compact shape as in CO2 tank - kept mainly for shrimp, they love to hang out in there when its feed time, just drop some food in amongst it)
Vallis (Background - this grows no problem, lots of runners etc)
Round Pelia (foreground - attached to rock)
Aponogeton crispus (backfround - Seems to not grow at all, but staying healthy)
Amazon Frogit bit and Phyllanthus fluitans (Have you considered some floating plants to subdue the light a little?)

I have am using an EX700 external filter. Flow is minimal at best, so you might want to look at your filter. I have read that 10 x turnover / high flow is not as critical on the low tech as you're not trying to circulate CO2 round the tank, but it is still nice to see the plants moving and swaying about (Sorry, Could'nt be more scientific, could it?)

Hope the above maybe helps with expanding /re-thinking your plant choice :thumbup:

Rough pic of tank below. Please excuse the red flourite substrate. Its definitely an aquired taste :?

forumtank.jpg

danmil3s said:
Only than that worries me is you're after a low tec set up yet shopping for high out put t5s some thing you may regret.

Well it works out around 28 gallons, so 2W per gallon, that isnt so bad I would say low tech or not, lights always important however im aware of course it is limited by ohter factors, this is just one I will be setting for the future if I ev r change it, rather than buy a t8 only to upgrade possible a year or so later

Thank you very very much for that greenjar, I am not saying no to fertilisers, Id prefer not to do it too much and make my plants reliant in the sense that I would like them to grow (time isnt an issue nor appearance) according to one set way, also the fact that im study and will be on placement next year, so time for the tank is at a premium.

definitely take your views on the background, as I was going to use vallis but if you reckone fern makes for a better background then I may go for that instead just, as for the tanks style I was going for roots and likely low lying plants for the midground and foreground mostly, trying to keep it "open" as much as possible.

Yeah realistically for the fish choice I want flow isnt essential and as you said, it would help but the nutrients etc will be mostly through the roots than leaves.

Btw your tank looks great! well I think so anyway, I would be very happy with it myself!

Back