• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Salicylic acid

interesting read.

vitamin s :)

i've never heard of anyone using it thou. Does it work on BBA?

at least if you're plants get dandruff, here's the answer!

goodbye Head and Shoulders.

been using it for 6 months, very good on hair algae, fuzz algae and spiragoya (can't spell).
Doesn't do anything to BBA BGA

Andy

We use 100% acetic acid to kill aquatic weeds(See Spencer and Ksander), I'm sure there is a similar dose response curve for algae vs plants for MANY chemicals.

Realize the Acetic acid will "pickle" and is used as a tissue fixative, much like Glutaraldehyde.
SA should work fine also with the same dose response curve.

So does copper which is widely used as an algicide.
For algae, about 0.4ppm and for aquatic plants; about 1.0 ppm.
This is for general algae and weed control, some of the species we keep will be sensitive, same with Glutaraldehyde also.

Acetic acid will also destroy KH => strong enough acid to break HCO3+H+ => CO2 + H2O.
So it will soften the water in the tank.

If you take 5% distilled vinegar..........spray it on a weed outside, it will kill it.
Then add some to your fish N chips at the pub, or if you are more healthy, on the salad.

Today I have applied Salicylic Acid with concentartion 0.01% to one of my nano tanks. There are only traces of algae there, nothing serious or to bother me, but I am curious about the effect of this acid. As soon as I see any changes I will report them here.

Back