• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55 Iwawoody.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 @ 7 weeks and a Canon 550d

ianho said:
i see what you mean regarding the quality of the pics!

I'm so impressed with the 550 mate.

I've uploaded the image at a lower quality...

This is a little better. Seriously, anyone thinking of getting a camera which isnt too expensive, you must consider this camera. I'll take some over christmas with flash etc.

550d1.jpg

This isn't with the kit lens is it?

and i know it's a pain, but what are the basic settings?

ianho said:
This isn't with the kit lens is it?

It is Ian. The lens is quite plasticy and cheap feeling, but gives pretty good results. It does take all of my other lenses though. My 135mm F2 now becomes close to 200mm F2!!!!

ianho said:
but what are the basic settings?

How do you mean bud?

thats not bad for a kit lens...it is quite an impressive camera.

anyone wanna but a Sony SLR???lol

sorry i meant the setting for the shot above.

ianho said:
thats not bad for a kit lens...it is quite an impressive camera.

anyone wanna but a Sony SLR???lol

Neutral. I've set the settings to roughly match what i shoot on the 5d MK2. Shot in RAW, then edited in DPP.

It's basically a 7D in a smaller and not so robust body. The HD video is awesome to.

I really like my EOS 550D. Imho very good entry level DSLR with nice HD movies recording options.
Recently tried some 1080p movie of a tank, short clip but gives you a feeling what can be done with this camera - http://vimeo.com/33805432
Also Mark you should try it with a cheapo 50mm 1.8 lens (80 pounds or smth) and a few portrait shots under good light conditions. You will be amazed, I was tbh.
Can you do one thing for me mate? Try to share a few photos with kit lens and then switch to your 135L mounted on 550D body :) I just want to see how this lens influences the quality of pictures.

I love th 550d aswell. I use the kit lense and havent userd any better lenses so I dont know how good it is but one thing that annoys me about it is that sometimes I can have f 4.5 and others I cant go below 5.. I dont understand why...

I am not much impresse with the video because it is hard to focus whilst recording and the kit lense is noisy.

Apart from that I love it to bits. So easy to use.

schraptor said:
Can you do one thing for me mate? Try to share a few photos with kit lens and then switch to your 135L mounted on 550D body I just want to see how this lens influences the quality of pictures.

I will do mate. I'll do it over the crimbo break :thumbup:

Here's a really rough edit, heavily PS'd image using the 550d and stock lens. Again, it's during a water change so there's bubbles,hoses, water jetting in, but the 550d i feel, will be really capable of some crackin' pics

550-rough.jpg

well that's Nats crimbo prezzie gone then! lol

get her a Tesco Vivitar cam instead.

FishBeast said:
one thing that annoys me about it is that sometimes I can have f 4.5 and others I cant go below 5.. I dont understand why...

With this lens and many other zooms the maximum aperture varies with focal length (just a side effect of the way some lenses are constructed).

I think the Canon kit lens has a maximum aperture range of 3.5-5.6. What this means is that at the wide angle (18mm) you should be able to stop all the way down to f3.5, but as you zoom in the amount you can stop down gradually reduces until you are left with only f5.6 at 55mm.

Indeed George.

Part of the mirror system has broken. It's just fallen out. I'm not sure how it's happened. No one in the house is admitting dropping or hitting it, but somethings happened...major to.

Mark Evans said:
Indeed George.

Part of the mirror system has broken. It's just fallen out. I'm not sure how it's happened. No one in the house is admitting dropping or hitting it, but somethings happened...major to.

Thats a pricey camera... you could find your household insurance covers you new for old. I know mine does. Who knows, you could end up with a nice 5D mkII and this cloud could have a silver lining. Course, if you have bought Nikon it would not have broken, hehe. Seriously though, hope you get it fixed. If my D700 broke I would be mightily miffed.

Mark Evans said:
Indeed George.

This happened to my 5D classic while on a big shoot last year - Phoned Canon and it's an extended warranty repair so they did it for free. Lucky I had my 450D with me. But yes, the mirror literally fell out. No bangs or drops. There's a problem with the glue they used that only had a limited life. They re-glued a new mirror on for me, put restrainer strips over the edges and serviced it for me. Not sure about a 5D mkii though.

Tom

Back