• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55 Iwawoody.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 @ 7 weeks and a Canon 550d

Tom said:
Antipofish said:
Course, if you have bought Nikon it would not have broken, hehe.

...but you need a degree to work out the unintuitive controls! :rolleyes: :lol:

Lol depends whether you want a point and click (Canon) or a proper camera (Nikon) :lol: :lol: :lol:
(Just kidding, I came close to getting Canon when I got my D700 but tbh I don't find the Nikon that hard to use.... you get used to the settings you change the most whichever camera you get I guess).

Stunning pics of your tank there Mark, especially considering it's with the kit lens. Have the baby Nikon myself and wondering could you please take a pic with a prime lens as I'm considering one as my next purchase but would like to see the difference.Have never met you but still have the nerve to ask favours :oops: Hopefully you have no trouble getting your main camera fixed.......Oh, nearly forgot, that tank is looking bl**dly awesome

cheers chaps. This week, at some point, i'll be photographing the 120cm I'll swap lens and camera configurations and upload them.

The last 3 day I've been running the 2 x 150MH lamps. Boy what a difference it's made to the plants. HC and parvula are just loving the extra lighting.

It's pearling profusely, and everything is such a vivid green. I feel that currently, tank is in that 'happy zone'

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 now with 300w of metal halide

Cant wait to see the pics :)

Antipofish said:
Cant wait to see the pics

I'm interested to see how different they are. I think for Internet use, the 550D is just fine, producing some awesome images.

Here's the tank @ 8 weeks.

I think a trimand a tidy up is imminent. I'll take my 'bluebackground' images before i trim.

8-weeks.jpg

A couple more. Left and right side.

Not often i show the left side :shifty:

8-weeks-r.jpg

8-weeks-l.jpg

Ok that is it, How much to come do my tank

Lovely shots mate, as usual. It's too easy to take your photography for granted.

I've a few questions, if I may!

How long are you running the halides per photoperiod? Midday burst? What bulb types are they?

Are you increasing CO2 or nutrients with the extra lighting? Or are you relying on the substrate to provide sufficient qtys? How long will you be running halides for - longer term or is it just experimental?

Do you think the 'vivid greens' are a result of your perception of the extra light or actual better plant health?

Are you using a heater? What's your water temp?

Keep up the great work. It shows your dedication to the hobby sharing this stuff over the Xmas break!

+1 thanks for keeping us updated :thumbup:
I can see you are using Marina brush for pipes? Cant get into that end heh. I managed to get there with some adjustments.

Piece-of-fish said:
+1 thanks for keeping us updated :thumbup:
I can see you are using Marina brush for pipes? Cant get into that end heh. I managed to get there with some adjustments.

i saw a product that you can soak the pipe in that gets rid of the hard to get its, but i cannot for the life of me remember what it was. I think it may have been on TGM's or Aquaessentials website though.

You would still need to brush it gently I suppose. There are no wanders. What you seen might be just bleach or similar based product. And bleach is cheap as chips. But why use chemicals where just the brush would do the same work ;)

Mark Evans said:
The last 3 day I've been running the 2 x 150MH lamps.

Feel the power... :oops:... thats not embarrassed... thats sunburn!!!

Ady34 said:
Feel the power... ... thats not embarrassed... thats sunburn!!!

:lol:

George Farmer said:
How long are you running the halides per photoperiod? Midday burst? What bulb types are they?

They're ADA NAG green 150wMH lamps. They're on for 4 hours a day now.

George Farmer said:
Are you increasing CO2 or nutrients with the extra lighting? Or are you relying on the substrate to provide sufficient qtys? How long will you be running halides for - longer term or is it just experimental?

Funnily enough, everything is the same, co2 and ferts.

George Farmer said:
Do you think the 'vivid greens' are a result of your perception of the extra light or actual better plant health?

I did think it might be perception, but it really is a case of healthier plants. Noticeable in the parvula and HC.I comparing this result viewing with 2 x 54wt5 not the MH.

George Farmer said:
Are you using a heater? What's your water temp?

No matey, and it's a barmy 25c...a warm house.

George Farmer said:
Are you running 2 filters now? What models?

Yes. A JBL cristoprofi1500 and an eheim 2076pro3E filled with; active carbon, seachem purigen, seachem phos remover, filter floss and the usual bio balls.

Whilst I've managed to grow HC quick quickly with lower light, i feel that this plant and others such as parvula really do benefit from higher lighting.

I'm playing about with the system so i know what to do in the next layout...plant dependant of course. :thumbup:

Gill said:
Ok that is it, How much to come do my tank

Free :D

Piece-of-fish said:

It doesn't quite reach, neither does my ADA type. lilleys are badly designed in this area. neat bleach didn't even work I can live with that little bit of dirt at the bottom though.

On a side not, i'm interested to see how quickly the glass takes to get dirty. In 8 weeks i still haven't cleaned the glass. There's a bit of GSA, and i'm leaving it to see how bad it gets with higher light conditions.

Forgot to add, I've moved the MH lamps over slightly so they're over the parts of the tanks that need it more (left and right) one benefit of the giesemann unit.

Thanks for the replies, Mark. And great shots (again!)

I'm really interested in how you think the higher lighting levels have improved plant health. Can you elaborate how exactly you determine better growth, please? Just growth rate, or more compact growth, or better colour (we know the green will be more vivid due to the ADA-NAG, but is it visibly noticeable with just your T5s?), or leaf condition/shape... etc. etc...

How long will you be running the extra lighting for, and can you remind us what ferts and qtys. you're dosing, please?

I would be a little concerned that the extra light may eventually lead to potential nutrient defs, especially as you're dosing the same qtys. with more light and more biomass as the plants grow and their nutrient requirement increase.

Perhaps the ADA-NAG has actually relatively low PAR, so in fact isn't actually driving much more growth, but is only much brighter to the eye due its green spectral peak, which our eyes are most sensitive to. Although you do mention much more pearling, so that counters that line of thought...

My own thoughts are that the ADA substrate system is acting as a huge nutrient store and buffer. Your set-up is certainly a great advert for it! I guess the question is how long will it last and will you run the 'scape long enough to know...

Please excuse the rambling but I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in the success you're having with your methodology, as it's flying in the face of some advice given on UKAPS, especially with the PO4 removers etc.

I guess you're not really that interesting as long as it works, and for you at least, it sure does!

Back