• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ram

i bought some fish from a not so local fish shop this afternoon, 6 corys and 2 rams, the corys and one ram were fine when i put them in my tank but 1 of the rams is right at the top of the tank head up tail down as if the tank is suffering low oxygen, all my other fish are ok, 10 ottos, 3 small angels, 10 serpea and 10 black neons.
any idea what might be wrong?

Is there an air stone in the tank? I've read some were that rams need near perfect conditions to survive, Don't quote me though.

no air pump but good surface agitation, only one of the 2 rams acting this way too.i must admit it didnt seem quite right in the bag when i got home,

if you have an air stone lying about i would definitely put it in there, It may just be stress aswell, how did it look in the tank at the not so local fish shop?

well it was in a tank full of other rams so its hard to tell! im wondering if they were in the bag to long? over an hour and a half!

Should be fine for that long, they probably got shipped to them in a bag for over 6 hours.

well im in the process of doing a water change so i'll see if that improves the situation!

I've read that amonia build up can damage fish gills. This is why some say that getting the fish into the tank and out of the bag should be done as quickly as possible (obviously within reason). Maybe your fish suffered from this and is showing the effects. Alternatively, it could just be a bit stressed out with the new water conditions - I've always found rams a bit sensitive. Any update?

Hi all,
Rams need a good diet and good quality, warm soft water long term, but are fine if you can get them from a good stock. This is the main problem, most of the fish in LFS are already far from healthy when you buy them and are very prone to dying really quickly. Selected varieties are even worse, so you need to definitely stay well away from "Balloon", and unless they are hobby bred, "long fin" and golden as well.

If I was going back down the Ram route (and one day I will because they were the fish I fell in love with first), I'd buy pair from Steve Chesters (Ste12000, find him via the BCA or Ebay), at a pinch I might get Czech bred ones, if I knew the LFS fairly well.

cheers Darrel

My two settled down well after a couple of days, they both feed well and have plenty of colour! I think it may have been the CO2 in the tank as I have had a couple of Angels do the same.

Back