• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Changing tubes every 6-12 months?!

Emyr

I have had my tubes for over 6 months now and have read in many places that supposedly you should change the bulbs every 6-12 months for optimum plant growth because the power of them faded and your plants will notice the difference and that it could even induce algae because the tubes are worn out, even after only 6 months.

How true is this? what are peoples thoughts on this one?

@ spyder - I have seen it on aquaessentials on there tubes range plus on various reducing algae things that i have seen. Just generally mentions it in a few places.

I thought it probably would be untrue and just a pitch for companies to sell more tubes but thought I would check. Alistair could you link me the article that Clive did about it? So they do wear out after a while but after how long do you think, how often realistically do they need to be changed?

Hi,
See the thread Two new tubes...

Replacing your light bulbs before they pop is non-value added. We are already paying a ridiculous premium for bulbs just because they are "plant" or "aquarium" bulbs. Furthermore, algae is caused by the use of too much light and can never be caused by not enough light, so that claim is also absurd. While it is true that plants can and do sense whatever spectral changes that occur, it is untrue that they necessarily suffer as a result. If the energy output of the bulbs decrease significantly then the plants will make whatever adjustments by producing more light harvesting cells to compensate for the reduction. Pay more attention to CO2, flow and distribution and this will render the effects of any spectral changes irrelevant.

Cheers,

Thanks Ceg, answered the question perfectly. One other question I have is what is the best colour temperature to go for? will there be any benefit to getting one instead of another. I already have one arcadia plant pro and want a nice white bulb to go with it I was considering the 6500 daylight 8000 skywhite or 10000k one? which one would be best?

Much in the Aquatics industry is based on BS, just so you spend more money.

Amen to that!

I will go one step further and state that there seems to be a lot of science misunderstood or misinterpreted and much of this "pseudoscience" has unfortunately entered in to aquarium folk law where it has the potential to do more harm than good, particularly to those who are new to the hobby. And many in the aquarium industry are perhaps more guilty than most of creating and perpetuating this folk law.

That is why it is always healthy to challenge preconceived notions - like the light bulb issue. Very often although the science behind these notions appears convincing there is very little, if any, actual science involved. And why a critical approach, like Clive's, to current paradigms is so often a fundamental prerequisite of real progress. And also why forums like this with a diversity of opinion and depth of knowledge and experience are a valuable resource.

particularly substrate

Please don't get me started...that's a potentially inflammatory comment to someone with my credentials :)

Loving the The Transparent Tank Challenge by the way.

Hi all,
Try looking on Google for any combination of "T5" "electronic ballast" "lamp lumen depreciation" "tri-phosphor" and it will tell you that T5 lamps lose very little brightness before failing after 25,000 hours or more. Realistically any dirt on the reflector is likely to have much more effect than changes in the lamp.

If we get into the area of "soft" or "programmed start" ballasts, and lamp life can easily be at least twice as long.

There is a very useful guide here: <http://www.lif.co.uk/lamp-guide/discharge-lamps.html>

cheers Darrel

Emyr said:
Thanks Ceg, answered the question perfectly. One other question I have is what is the best colour temperature to go for? will there be any benefit to getting one instead of another. I already have one arcadia plant pro and want a nice white bulb to go with it I was considering the 6500 daylight 8000 skywhite or 10000k one? which one would be best?
have a look on lamp specs
At their prices you could buy 2-3 tubes and see what best suits or look on James planted tank site he does a good comparison with pics that might be helpful
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back