• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lost my starlights?

PeteA

I added two Ancistrus dolichopterus to my 190 litre on Monday. Both seemed very happy, darting around, eating lots of algae on the glass. Now I can't find them for the second day running. Not a flipping trace. Ammonia and Nitrite levels are fine in the tank and the Neon Tetra are not showing any signs of distress. Do these fish burrow? I don't want to start poking around in the substrate or lifting bogwood if I can avoid it but I am a little worried :s

they do have a habit of hiding under bogwood, it maybe worth looking for them when the tank lights are out as most catfish are more active at night. i have had certain catfish that i havent seen for weeks on end then all of a sudden they would show up, caught in the open when the lights came on in the morning!

Thank goodness for that, was really starting to worry for a bit! I'll not start shifting wood around yet. Thinking about it I think the other half bought a cucumber for her lunch the other day...

Well what would you know, less than twenty minutes after lights off and one of them appears as if by magic! I'll try and put in some "cave like structures" with the luck they'll hide in that so can still be seen.

cheers

i used to do a similar thing when i had a catfish only tank, i would make sure all the cave and hiding place entrances were pointed to the front of the tank! didnt always work though lol. glad your star lights are ok

If they are couple the hiding can be a sign that they are breeding. There is a good chanse that you will find some babies soon.

Aquadream said:
If they are couple the hiding can be a sign that they are breeding. There is a good chanse that you will find some babies soon.

They're less than an inch currently so I don't think they're mature enough - but it'd be cool if they were!

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I added two Ancistrus dolichopterus to my 190 litre on Monday
Did you get them locally?
cheers Darrel
Yup, Maidenhead Aquatics in Melksham had a few left (probably 3/4). Incorrectly labelled as L059's but most definitely L183's :)

Back