• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CPD(s) or GBR?

What would you rather buy?

• Celestial Pearl Danio

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • German Blue Rams

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey UKAPS people

Okay, so i've decided i'd like to start breeding something other than shrimp

What would you rather i started breeding

CPDs(Celestial Pearl Danio) or GBRs(German Blue Rams)?

I've been doing a bit of research and they both sound quite easy to breed if the water parameters are acceptable for them.

Mitchell!

After i get everything set up and if your still interested im sure that'd be no problem :D

Just a warning it seems very difficult getting Rams to actually raise their eggs. They tend to eat them after a short while. You may need to separate the eggs from parents as soon as you see them, running a box filter to provide some flow and using an anti-fungal treatment. Once you have fry though, I'd imagine them to be easier to raise than the CPDs.

Hi all,
GBR's I just got some 5 for under a tenner on Ebay from Ste1200
They will be quality fish, Steve is one of the UK's leading Dwarf Cichlid breeders and he is also the British Cichlid Association publicity officer.

Personally I would regard Rams as fairly difficult to raise in any numbers, although some of the battle is getting viable stock to start with. Some Apistogramma spp. are a lot easier and just as saleable, (I'd probably start with A. cacatuoides, A. macmasteri) or the domestic red form of A. agassizii.

I've never kept CPD's, but any really small fry are difficult as well.

Another option for an "easy to raise" saleable fish would be Ancistrus sp.3, although you may find that local shops will only buy long fin or albinos etc. and another one would be a Corydoras like C. sterbai or C. panda.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, i was thinking about doing CPDs, there are many journals on the internet about people getting 180 fry per spawn so they seem fairly easy.

A run down on my set up, i don't now...what is a run down?? (now you see how bad my englisch is )
I'm breeding a lot off these fish, somtimes i've got > 500(several spawns), somtimes les.
On my attick i have 12 tanks in different sises, not nice to look at, but functional.
I always take 5 well fed fish, 2 female's and 3 males (the alfa's), and i put them in a tank with java moos , and very much plants.
The waterlevel is only 25/30 cm, no filter, only a airstone (is that the right word?)
In the time they are in the breeding tank, i feed them with live food like brine shrimp, and red muscito larve (the black one's stay to high by the waterlevel, and so do the white one's to).
That on a dayly base.
These fish aet mostely from the bottom off the tank while spawning.
Feeding them while spawning prefent them from aeting most of the eggs and fry.
The fry that make it to the watersurvase wil therefore survive

After 5 til 7 days i take my 5 fish out the tank and than i wait.
My newest experiment is breeding in a bucket...that also works fine, and is a nice low budget solution

The biggest spawn i had was over 180 fry from 5 fish in 5 days....yes i'm addicted

Here a few pics, sorry for the bad quality, its a simple camera, and i'm not so good in making pictures

This is a 80 cm tank and in these tank are 240, 8 and 10 week old fry on the picture aeting brine shrimp.
vissies45.jpg

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
GBR's I just got some 5 for under a tenner on Ebay from Ste1200
They will be quality fish, Steve is one of the UK's leading Dwarf Cichlid breeders and he is also the British Cichlid Association publicity officer.

Personally I would regard Rams as fairly difficult to raise in any numbers, although some of the battle is getting viable stock to start with. Some Apistogramma spp. are a lot easier and just as saleable, (I'd probably start with A. cacatuoides, A. macmasteri) or the domestic red form of A. agassizii.

I've never kept CPD's, but any really small fry are difficult as well.

Another option for an "easy to raise" saleable fish would be Ancistrus sp.3, although you may find that local shops will only buy long fin or albinos etc. and another one would be a Corydoras like C. sterbai or C. panda.

cheers Darrel

Steves fish are Great Quality, I would highly recommend them

Back