• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glosso Growing Vertical......?

Quetzalcoatl

So after a bit of tinkering in the tank over Christmas, I decided I wanted to have a go at growing Glosso. I failed with HC previously, but this was due to my 2 BN Plecs constantly uprooting it, they have now been evicted. :wave:

Can anybody explain why my Glosso is growing vertical and not spreading? I believe it is due to insufficent light, but I`m running 3x39watt T5`s over a 180 ltr. Pressurised Co2, E.I. Temp 26c, Fluval G6. Should I trim now or just run with it? Here`s a pic.

Glosso.jpg

I've found HC and glosso grow better under T5 lights rather than MH. Amano also suggests this, so your lighting is fine.

Trim hard to encourage horizontal growth. glossso looks kind nice a bit raggedy IMO. you wont find amano with manicured glosso lawns...well not that often.

Thanks for the advice guys. Don`t think that Co2 is the issue though? At the time the photo was taken I had my spray bar fixed to the back wall of the tank pointing foward, and directing it down and over the plant. I have now removed the bar from this posistion as the force of the water had uprooted most of the Glosso, and was messing up my scaped slope that I was trying to achieve. :thumbdown:

If a hard trim is required, which is the best way to cut? Do I cut the plant back so it`s just above the substrate, or cut leaving a single node?

George Farmer said:
Looks like a CO2 issue. Are you getting CO2 at the bottom of the tank?

Quetzalcoatl

A way you can check that you getting enough Co2 in the lower part of you water column is put your drop check only just above the substrate about an 1" and watch it over next few days

See what colour it changes being in the lower part of your tank

That should give you the answer to weather your getting even amount of Co2 around the tank

I had my gloss growing skybound, great co2 distribution and flow was on point.
After i trimmed hard a couple times I had a weed like carpet that grew so so dense and was hard to keep on top of in a 20ltr

Trim so there is one leaf left at the substrate then with what you remove replant :)

I manged to get mine growing downwards!
Was that growth intentional Foxfish? It looks awesome. :clap:

Similar conditions to Nayr88 (The Glosso Carpet Guru. ;) ) Flow is fine, Co2 is optimal, yet Glosso does not behave!! :thumbdown: I may let it root over the next few days then go at it like Sweeny Todd.

P.S I have just reposistioned my DC to confirm any doubt in my mind? :lol:

Haha, :)

Glosso is a weed once it gets comfortable with your conditiOns.
Keep us posted mate.

Back