• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

125 Litre Rio

Christor

So here goes, after a very short but very informative couple of weeks I am going to take the plunge into setting up my planted tank, something I can be proud of myself. I ave little to no experience in this hobby or in fishkeeping in general, so this is all new to me and understand it may become more of a "help me guide" than anything but would appreciate all help when possible.

The Plan

I love to look at what I call "professional" scapes, those with the cool rocks and perfectly trimmed and positioned plants, but I would much prefer taking a more natural look(if possible) and adjusting it to how I like, so what im looking to do is produce a root like system approach to my tank.

The Kit

Going somewhat minimalist

Juwel Rio 125 8x36x50cm
Filter - Fluval U4
2 28w T5 lights
Substrate, John innes no3 capped with cat litter
Hardscape- Redmoor and stones

Flora

Christmas moss
Java fern
Amazon Swords
Vallisneria
Anubias nana
Ludwiga Repens

So thats the basic plan for now, cant see too many changes really to it for now, but I am currently

"airing out" my soil
thoroughly washing the cat litter
the tank will need cleaned thoroughly as it has a few marks on it
try to come up with ideas for fish to add to it, shrimps will be a definite!

Thanks for taking the time to read

Here is a rough layout of what im looking to do (fish substrate etc all to be removed first as well as marks on the tank)

Kind of finding it hard myself to imagine it planted so trying to be patient, a virtue I do not posses!

Photography skills could do with a touch up as well :D

For those with a better eye than me, or even a different opinion! how does it look? im aware the roots seem to come out of nowhere but planning to provide a solution of planting around them in a way that they will simply appear. I have tried not to be symetrical and not quite sure if I hav got this golden rule down yet, seems to follow it, to me doesnt look too artificial

all opinions much welcomed and appreciated! :)

will watch this. Err. Can you please forward those roots to me. Urgently. Ta :)

Ha thanks Darren, and they came to the great sum of 5 pounds for the two from a LFS, its crazy the cost of some pieces on the internet but I had the pick of quite a large bin of it, big one looks like a tree when set on its bottom which is conveintly shaped square so fits all my sides when placed :D

5 pounds???? jeeez. a small tree stump / root is 30 at my lfs. have ordered some nice bits from aquaessentials.

Yeh its mad the prices but if you want it, its hard to find something similar at home without running the risk!

Update

So quite a bit has been so, its now been a week setup with the following plants

Eleocharis Parvula
Echindorus Bleheri
Anubias barteri car nana
hygrophilia polysperma "Rosanervig"
Hygrophilia corymbosa "augustifolia"
Alternathera reineckii "pink" roseafolia

Keeping in mind the setup any plants that may or may not be suited this? the alternathera is a big risk but was very cheap and worth the try

As for filtration most of the plants are swaying anyway, however a little problem has arisen, there seems to be like a brown sort of "scum" growing on the plants leaves, and a few are looking a little shabby

is it algae? or just the plants readjusting? they are still trying to root themselves at the moment so waiting to see if that makes a difference

I am yet to do a water change...should I and want sort of quantity or how often?

done a water test on Friday and it stood at
Ammonia 0.75
Nitrite 0.25
Ph neutral, so it hsnt adjusted any

should do a KH and GH and will when have the time

and now the pictures!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks about 100 times better with the plants in there, id suggest moving the red stems nearer the back though or inbetween the wood, they grow fast and tall.

Thanks man, looking forward to it growing out, I know it doesnt look as nicely scaped as others but its simple which I can manage and to me looks nice :) may move the plants later but for now like where they are adding a bushy sort of effect to the tank

would love the parvula to catch on, but odds are it wont considering my setup, well not at any great speed!

Back