• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp no longer breeding

Dincho said:
If your using RO then there is no way your parameters should be reading what they are! You must have some hardscape in the tank that is buffering the water?

I am using a remineriliser.

Thanks for asking - Back to using RO since 4 December, but PH is still high at 7.5 despite adding Almond leaves (courtesy of Gill). KH is now 3 with GH at 6.

Should I add more Almond Leaves than the 2 I currently have?

Parameters are better in the newly setup tank with Akadama for Red Cherry. I am getting a PH of around 7 with KH of 1 and GH of 5

If you are using RO and Akadama then your ph should be much lower, something is buffering it. Have you got a photo of your setup?

What are you using to re-mineralise the water?

Using JBL Aquadur Plus to remineralise

i-fqZ5jLp-L.jpg

Calibrated about 5 weeks ago but again this morning. RO Water is reading PH6, the CRS Tank PH7.4 and the Red Cherry PH6.8. I guess that maybe the JBL is increasing the PH?

Dincho said:
I have not used the JBL stuff but it looks like the case, we have eliminated everything else. Use something else to re-mineralise and ph should hopefully come down.

Many thanks.

Dincho said:
Fingers crossed that is the issue! Come back if not, we'll start again :D

Many thanks for your help and interest. Can you maybe suggest a remineraliser which wont increase the PH?

Yes thanks, I have now done 3 x 50% water changes and parameters are now PH6.6, KH1, and GH5. Whether or not the CRS start to breed now remains to be seen. They are all mature adults.

Good to hear! Keep the parameters as they are and stable, they should be acting like rabbits in no time :) All shrimp have a period where they don't breed, normally a month or 2 between November and March.

Dincho said:
Good to hear! Keep the parameters as they are and stable, they should be acting like rabbits in no time :) All shrimp have a period where they don't breed, normally a month or 2 between November and March.

Thanks Dane, what water change regime do you have?

Back