• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oto's and SAE's

Hehe, that is what I tried to explain on the thread I wrote: "Which Crossocheilus Siamensis?" You can see it if you browse down the fish topics a little. You will usually only find any of these related species labelled as Siamese Algae Eater or Crossocheilus siamensis, but as I explained, it is not actually a species, but a few species. I put some photos up to help people differentiate. Some people on here have had the bad experiance of having thier beloved moss being eaten up by their very own SAE, yet it was not the SAE they thought they had.

sanj said:
Hehe, that is what I tried to explain on the thread I wrote: "Which Crossocheilus Siamensis?" You can see it if you browse down the fish topics a little. You will usually only find any of these related species labelled as Siamese Algae Eater or Crossocheilus siamensis, but as I explained, it is not actually a species, but a few species. I put some photos up to help people differentiate. Some people on here have had the bad experiance of having thier beloved moss being eaten up by their very own SAE, yet it was not the SAE they thought they had.

I was going by the reference in a PFK article that I read http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=3196. I will go look for your thread.

That is fine and he probably did not know the difference at the time. The current name and usage is firmly established, it will take a long time to filter through for a change (if it ever does) and even then your average LFS will be unable to label them correctly. I notice frustratingly they are still rather poor when it comes to labeling rainbowfish species. Distinguishing between SAEs is much more difficult especially when juvenile.

sanj said:
That is fine and he probably did not know the difference at the time. The current name and usage is firmly established, it will take a long time to filter through for a change (if it ever does) and even then your average LFS will be unable to label them correctly. I notice frustratingly they are still rather poor when it comes to labeling rainbowfish species. Distinguishing between SAEs is much more difficult especially when juvenile.

Are the wholesalers bringing them in correctly though, or offering them by proper name ? Because if not, this information makes no difference. It's still pot luck.

sanj said:
I wouldnt say it is pot luck, I passed up on buying some juvies recently because they showed morphology akin to C.atrilimes. You can tell them apart as long as you know what to look for. Wholesalers are not making this distinction no.

Precisely. "As long as you know what you are looking for". The differences are pretty negligible, especially taking into consideration fish are often not at their best in LFS tanks. And I would say that anyone who had not kept these fish would have difficulty looking at some in an LFS and being able to determine one from the other. Therefore, I maintain, if the wholesalers and retailers are not making a distinction, what you get is pot luck.

i have just picked up 3 C.reticulatus labeled as silver flying fox so lets see how they get on with eating my staghorn/thread and BBA

morefirejules08 said:
i have just picked up 3 C.reticulatus labeled as silver flying fox so lets see how they get on with eating my staghorn/thread and BBA

Good luck. The two places I have been to just decribe them as C. Siamensis, although they did both add the title "true flying fox" which I am now wondering whether that means "the right type of C. Siamensis" LOL

C.reticulatus is very easy to tell apart from the species labelled as SAE. As for whether they will eat BBA im not sure, but they certainly graze algae generally. It shouldnt be labelled SAE or Flying Fox anywhere as it is the Reticulated Algae Eater.

Hey ho, I long ago decided to regard the average LFS as a place where people sell fish, not a place where people are necessarily experts in knowing the fish they sell.

sanj said:
C.reticulatus is very easy to tell apart from the species labelled as SAE. As for whether they will eat BBA im not sure, but they certainly graze algae generally. It shouldnt be labelled SAE or Flying Fox anywhere as it is the Reticulated Algae Eater.

Hey ho, I long ago decided to regard the average LFS as a place where people sell fish, not a place where people are necessarily experts in knowing the fish they sell.

I totally agree with you there ! I only wish and dream of having somewhere like TGM down near me. Its almost worth MOVING HOUSE for ! lol

sanj said:

this http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Crossocheilus&species=reticulatus&id=1327 suggests they will be rather good at the BBA at least, and it was your article that meant i recognized them in the fish shop, i even double check on my phone while i was in the shop!!

Yay! Im glad it has been of use to someone. :)

Yes the web page states ; "C. reticulatus is actually an efficient consumer of BBA although this isn't yet widely-reported".

The reason I could not personally verify on RAE is becuase he was introduced at the same time as the SAEs back in 2008. He certainly munches away much of the time.

Interestingly I have an RTB who has also been in there since 2008 aswell and these fish are general algae browsers, mowing the plants and hardscape for much of the time.
Arguably they could generally consume more algae than an SAE based on thier larger digestive system, but ofcourse most tanks can only ever cater for one at best and a no no with SAEs unless in a large tank of at least several hundred litres. Still RTBs arent known for consuming BBA.

Back