• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55 Iwawoody.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 The Plan!

George Farmer said:
The ripples look great too. It's an art form in itself capturing a good ripple!

It's the hardest part IMO. to get the ripples just right, and try and expose for the tank overall.

Arana said:
love the concept mate, it's gonna be great

Hopefully.

I was going to save the trimming until tomorrow, but thought....'well, it's gotta be done' so i went in balls deep.

The big bit of riccia, front/right, will be gone as soon as I've cut some more riccia slates.

Tiny bit more trimming, then it's ready for another 5 weeks or so.

Before...

6732135059_763635c569_o.jpg
pre-trim by saintly's pics, on Flickr

After...

6732132977_1a7b7c7855_o.jpg
trim by saintly's pics, on Flickr

Hei what is that yellow thing on the right :lol:
I dont know I dont know. Not quality...

George Farmer said:
Love it mate. No point in pussy-footing about. I'm sure it will look amazing with the new growth.

Cheers George. precisely. Just get straight in there!

ghostsword said:
That is indeed a hard trimming, you were not joking about it!

Piece-of-fish said:
Hei what is that yellow thing on the right

It'll recover. no different to an Amano trim really.

This should be the last trim i think... That said, i'm really liking the idea of keeping this going for some time. There are several different ways to take it, all of which could look different to one another other.

Thankfully, if it doesn't work for whatever reason, at least i do have a high res, full tank shot from 1 week ago (which i haven't shown)

did you use a strimmer???

thats what you call a good trim, how long did it take you?

Mark Evans said:
I was going to save the trimming until tomorrow, but thought....'well, it's gotta be done' so i went in balls deep.

:woot: I hope you are running Purigen! Lol.

Mark Evans said:
This should be the last trim i think... That said, i'm really liking the idea of keeping this going for some time. There are several different ways to take it, all of which could look different to one another other.

It would be interesting to see this morph into various alternative looks, with different forna as well in each :)

i can't believe this beautiful scape is already done... now i'm caught between the idea of trying to improve by being prolific of just sticking to one scape untill it gets the way you want it... on MAC Stan Chung, said he took 3 years on one scape alone... :eek:

Rabb.D said:
now i'm caught between the idea of trying to improve by being prolific of just sticking to one scape untill it gets the way you want it

It's tricky mate. I for one need to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible. If this means terminating a scape' well before it's 'best before' date, then so be it.

Slowly though, my scapes start to last a little longer. This one, i think, could last a lot longer than i first thought.

I'm lucky this is still running....about 2 months ago, i didn't like it o_O

I'd love to have about 4 tanks on the go (biggish ones) so i can have at least one as a 'long term' scape. The others being, learning tanks.

Most of what i do is luck. Really, i didn't expect this tank to look how it does. Hence why i asked Mr Amano the same question, "does he have the final vision in his head?"..... in which he fiercely shot me down in flames, saying..."i'm the master, dont ask questions like that" :lol:

Mark Evans said:
Rabb.D said:
I'm lucky this is still running....about 2 months ago, i didn't like it o_O

Picky Picky Picky !!! :lol: I've loved it from the start. And its just got better and better. I'm still worried about this ripping out all the wood business though. It will be a completely different scape, but however it turns out I am sure it will still be a cracker.

I would love 4 tanks on the go too, and the money to fund them, lol.

Mark Evans said:
Hence why i asked Mr Amano the same question, "does he have the final vision in his head?"..... in which he fiercely shot me down in flames, saying..."i'm the master, dont ask questions like that" :lol:
:lol:

I'm sure with his experience he must know almost exactly how the finished product will look and plans his layouts accordingly. I still only have a vague idea about the final 'image' when planning my 'scapes.

Those with this long-term vision combined with creative imagination lead the way in this hobby. Growing plants is the easiest part IME.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 Pre trim pics.

Mark Evans said:
The Plan!

This is the roughest PS edit ever, but it's the plan for the final images.

I intend to trim pretty hard and remove all stray runners. It may even mean moving a piece of wood or 2....fingers crossed for that!

Anyway, as mentioned, a rough PS edit showing the plan.

6730415309_aa24064236_o.jpg
the-plan by saintly's pics, on Flickr

If you could get '30' cardinals to sit bang in that spot where they are here that would be an awesome shot, the fish framed by the scape and then no need to brighten that central area.
With this insight into where the final image is going, the wood is so important to the scape, offering a natural softener, and break lines to the more sculpted plant tiers.
Its amazing looking back through this journal how the rocks were so dominant and are now almost invisible, the wood has now become the more prominent hardscape yet both are equally as valuable to the scape as a whole, 'IWAWOODY'.... the best of both worlds.
Cheerio,
Ady.

As usual Ady, great contribution! :thumbup:

A small update...

I think now, it's been about 3 weeks since I've done a water change. I've dosed, in total, 60ml of TPN+ in the 3 weeks.

With such little attention, I'm amazed at how well the tank is doing. Glosso has made a full recovery and every single plant in the tank, is growing with ease.

I'm over run with cherry shrimp. The crs have bred, and my ss+ grade must have bred, as I've seen more than one! (There was only one which was pregnant.)

I'll start to transfer some of the shrimp into my running 90cm tank.

Here's a quick UWA snap of the tank.

after-trim-6.jpg

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 After the trim.

looks almost over grown again!

looks mighty good for an under dosed tank as well.

ianho said:

Another week and it will be.

I'm not sure how long to keep this going. It's the best it's looked. In fact, it's the best i've had ever i think. Getting better by the day, but it dont excite me.

Boredom is setting in, and the urge to create is getting the better of me.

Mark Evans said:
ianho said:

I'm not sure how long to keep this going. It's the best it's looked. In fact, it's the best i've had ever i think. Getting better by the day, but it dont excite me.

If you have done what you need to with it, and thats how you feel, crack on with the next one ! I for one will be subscribing to the next journal :thumbup: But if you think it can get even better, theres no harm in letting it run another week or two. Either way, it has been a pleasure watching this though, from an aquascaping point of view and a photographic one. You must have endless patience. :)

Mark Evans said:
ianho said:

You may as well do some tests before tearing it down. For instance, it would be interesting to know what happens if you remove your phosphate absorber, purigen etc and what would happen if you replaced your TPN+ dosing with dry ferts, or better still TPN without the N and P and see if the substrate can handle it.

In essence, can you make the running costs cheaper whilst maintaining the same level of quality?

Back