• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sheet betwwen tank and stand necessary ?

Mortis

So Im setting up a new tank soon in the new house and this time since we were geting new furniture made I got the carpenter to make me an ADA style stand for the tank. So far I have been putting my tanks on cabinets and desks and I have been putting polystyrene sheets underneath them to even out the pressure.

My question is, the new stand is completely flat and leveled, so do I still need a polystryrene or rubber sheet underneath or am I good just placing the tank on top since the sheet looks a bit unsightly on my nice new stand :) ?

Mortis,
The reason for having a flexible sheet under the tank has nothing to do with evening out the pressure. Although glass is very strong, under load it deforms significantly. If the surface underneath the glass does not yield then the glass will make contact with that surface and will shatter. The center area of the glass plate deforms the most and will be pushed down the most since it holds the most load. Having a flexible surface underneath the plate allows the glass to move and deform without resistance. The bigger the tank the greater the load and the greater the deformation, so the thicker the rubber/polystyrene needs to be. Of course this all depends on the thickness of the glass used on the tank as thicker glass will deform less.

Cheers,

Thanks guys, I was planning to go for it anyway. I really dont know where to get that rubery foam where I live so I have to go for a styrofoam sheet. Will a 1/4th inch sheet do for a 2.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 foot tank made of 8mm glass ? or should I get a 1/2 inch one ?

Hi, I never used them to be honest. Had no problems so far with multiple tanks. Maybe will start using but only when something happens. Definitely would not be putting styrofoam.

Please don't laugh, but I have laminate underlay under my 2ft and my 4ft tank. Just used few layers and then trimmed the excess very carefully with a stanley knife. Worked a treat, you can't even see it's there under the 2ft, you can sort of tell with the 4ft if you look carefully, but only because I did use about 6 layers on that one to be sure!

I'm not totally mad, it just happened that I had some in the garage.

I still remember the havoc when my dads tank cracked when I was little due to nothing being under it, so I'd defo use something. Water pouring down the stairs wasn't fun!

I'm not totally mad, it just happened that I had some in the garage.

That`s not mad mate that`s good utilisation of available materials? I would never of thought of using laminate underlay. What a cracking idea. :thumbup:
I am currently using nothing under my 180ltr, and have developed an immediate feeling of paranoia. :?
When I rescape I will retrieve my underlay offcuts currently residing in the loft!!!

A yoga mat? I feel better! :lol: Shan't crack any jokes about your fishies spiritual well-being... :silent:

Seems to have worked a treat, so far so good, no leaks! The 2ft only has 2 layers under it if I remember rightly, although it could possibly be 3. The hard part's cutting off the excess without scratching the cabinet.

Back