• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seems easy, a little too easy...

J Butler

Well, I wasn't sure where best to post this as it involves a few areas, so settled on the Plant section.

I believe ADA's Wabi-Kusa have been around for quite some time now in the form or substrate balls however with recent ADA view videos, it's clear they're extending the term to include emersed plants that are then sold on to be grown submerged. Much the same as we're used to with rockwool, without the pesky rockwool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEHMfLNL ... detailpage

And what I think is a stunning example of their use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emg3TBm3 ... pd6os2bNz2

What I was wondering, does anyone know what type of substrate the plants are grown in? They just seem to be placed on the existing substrate or rockwork and no clouding is visible.

Could something like this be achieved at home do you think (wrt the emersed growth), or would it involve a considerable outlay in hydroponics equipment to achieve, putting it in to context, considerable being thousands rather than hundreds of £.

Obviously I know that emersed growth is possible with some lovely examples from the likes of Schruz, but what i'm interested in is cutting out sections and transferring as can be seen in the videos.

you could use old aquasoil that has turned to mud, place it in large flat plastic containers, fill it up and plant some cuttings. as the water evaporates the plants will start growing emergent leaves and once the water is below mud level, just water enough to keep it moist. this will have to be done in high humidity, in a tank with a lid on, or a plastic container with humidity dome, or a greenhouse. you can then use a cookie cutter to cut rounds out, or a sharp knife for squares. once you have cut a shape out, fill it back up aquasoil and replant some of the emersed cuttings there, you can even grow mixed bunches like ADA does, this way.. you could also do this with with nursery seedling trays and pots. because you are using aquasoil and the plants should have knitted it altogether with their roots, you would get very little clouding or fouling the water..

Yes one day when I have unlimited funds I can plant this way. Just few hundreds or thousands worth of plants then it is easy as it looks :)

Thanks for the reply, Wearsbunnyslippers.

I thought something like this could work, I just had reservations that the root growth would be enough to hold the soil in place. Nothing for it but to try though I suppose, won't be able to for a while, but when I hopefully invest in a big tank to play with, I'll certainly give it a try.

Is it easy to grow the stems emersed do you know? Is it just a case of topping and replanting to make them dense and compact, I always wondered with them. Carpet plants are all that really spring to mind when I think of growing plants emersed.

Radik said:
Yes one day when I have unlimited funds I can plant this way. Just few hundreds or thousands worth of plants then it is easy as it looks :)

Think we all have that dream, Radik! :D

Back