• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

James' ADA 60p setup (week 11 shots)

James' ADA 60p setup

Hi James, it was not my intention to offend you, and apologize if that was how it came out.

I see the scape as a safe scape, not your usual bold and unusual hardscape and plant layout. I remember the amazing cliff that you had on a nano, with various platforms, and the three small nanos with moss that looked like a single scape.

My taste, and obviously looking at the other comments I am not looking at it properly and completely misunderstood the concept.

Now about the scape being similar to a scape I have seen, from James Findley. I am not accusing you of plagiarism, I am just saying that it is similar of what I have seen.

This is your scape:
6737376749_380a7967dd_z.jpg

This is the scape from James:
Finley14.jpg
[/quote]

Again not my intention to insult or cause offense, aren't journals meant to show people what you are doing and get some feedback? I just gave my feedback. :)

Re: James' ADA 60p setup

they are very different.

Hey Luis

I don't think the content of your post was necessarily wrong, per se, just the way you wrote it in a rather blunt manner without elaboration. When critiquing folks' hard work it's usually wise to give balanced feedback. If your comments contain any areas for improvement, it's a good idea to give some suggestions of how to improve otherwise it seems you're just criticising for the sake of it.

Actually your 'too safe' comment is similar to mine about 'holding back'. The key word in your post is "too". Too much anything is usually a bad thing... A better comment would be something like, "for a man of your skill and experience, I consider that this layout is rather safe and think you're capable of a lot more". It's a nicer way of saying, "too safe" but essentially means the same thing.

For the record I think I can also see where you're coming from with the similarity between these two tanks, but don't agree entirely.

The immediate observation for me is the similar use of open and in the corner of the tank. Your eye is immediately drawn to it. Also the arrangement of plants is relatively formal in both layouts, but remember that this is very early days for James SM's tank, and Jim's is mature. I suppose it's a bit like folk that say I look like Gok Wan or Alan Carr. We may wear similar glasses and have dark hair, but our facial feature are really quite different.

Cheers,
George

James - sorry for the hijack mate. You know how I love my diplomacy... :D Thanks for the info on the green issues.

How's the glosso getting on now? I'm trying some in my 60cm shallow with TMC LED lighting. I've yet to see a really tight carpet using LEDs but I'm sure it's possible... ;)

James' ADA 60p setup

Hi George, I completely agree with all that you wrote.

On the similarity of the tanks, yes, it is that open space.

Regarding the "safe", poor choice of words on my side.

I am a big fan of James tanks, I like the style of his nanos, and his imagination is unsurpassed.

Thanks George. I appreciate your input.

James - It has put a smile on my face to know your working your magic on a larger glass box.

I think that, over time, larger tanks will give you the opportunity to explore your themes further and create fuller renditions of them.

More importantly than that, I hope your enjoying the extra space :thumbup:

View any criticism in the context of you being viewed as the number 1 UK scaper and it won't seem so bad. Might increase the pressure a bit though :lol:

ghostsword said:
Hi James, it was not my intention to offend you, and apologize if that was how it came out.

I see the scape as a safe scape, not your usual bold and unusual hardscape and plant layout. I remember the amazing cliff that you had on a nano, with various platforms, and the three small nanos with moss that looked like a single scape.

My taste, and obviously looking at the other comments I am not looking at it properly and completely misunderstood the concept.

Now about the scape being similar to a scape I have seen, from James Findley. I am not accusing you of plagiarism, I am just saying that it is similar of what I have seen.

This is your scape:
6737376749_380a7967dd_z.jpg

This is the scape from James:
Finley14.jpg

Again not my intention to insult or cause offense, aren't journals meant to show people what you are doing and get some feedback? I just gave my feedback. :)

___________________________[/quote]

Hi Luis,
You have not offended me, although reading over my response I can see how it seemed that way, I was a bit abrasive.
I was actualy laughing when I posted it, thus why I included the emoticons " :lol: :lol: " at the start of the post.
It was intended as a bit of friendly banter, and if we were in the same room talking in person I reckon we would both have had a good laugh about it. Forums are notorious for these misunderstandings, still, I am sorry if i have upset you.

Anyhow, I now understand what you mean by safe, and yes you are right the layout, in particular the planting, is not that innovative. But I was doing the set up for TGM, who have been very good to me, and I wanted to provide them with a step by step guide that a complete beginner could follow. This is why I have included only plants that are very popular with newcomers and that all require similar conditions. That said I'm starting to think that the Glosso was not that safe a choice as I'm having trouble growing it flat :D .

I would agree that there are a couple of similarities between the 2 scapes in question, although I feel the overall impression is different.

Please do continue to give your honest opinion, you are entitled to do so and it is always appreciated, even if my responses seem a little harsh :D

George Farmer said:
Hey Luis

I don't think the content of your post was necessarily wrong, per se, just the way you wrote it in a rather blunt manner without elaboration. When critiquing folks' hard work it's usually wise to give balanced feedback. If your comments contain any areas for improvement, it's a good idea to give some suggestions of how to improve otherwise it seems you're just criticising for the sake of it.

Actually your 'too safe' comment is similar to mine about 'holding back'. The key word in your post is "too". Too much anything is usually a bad thing... A better comment would be something like, "for a man of your skill and experience, I consider that this layout is rather safe and think you're capable of a lot more". It's a nicer way of saying, "too safe" but essentially means the same thing.

For the record I think I can also see where you're coming from with the similarity between these two tanks, but don't agree entirely.

The immediate observation for me is the similar use of open and in the corner of the tank. Your eye is immediately drawn to it. Also the arrangement of plants is relatively formal in both layouts, but remember that this is very early days for James SM's tank, and Jim's is mature. I suppose it's a bit like folk that say I look like Gok Wan or Alan Carr. We may wear similar glasses and have dark hair, but our facial feature are really quite different.

Cheers,
George

James - sorry for the hijack mate. You know how I love my diplomacy... :D Thanks for the info on the green issues.

How's the glosso getting on now? I'm trying some in my 60cm shallow with TMC LED lighting. I've yet to see a really tight carpet using LEDs but I'm sure it's possible... ;)

George, you are the voice of reason :thumbup: .
On the subject of the Glosso, it is doing better. i now have a few horizontal runners and the plant is looking greener.
I'll be very interested in how you get on with yours under the LEDs.
BTW that's a top notch article you did on lighting in the latest PFK.

a1Matt said:
James - It has put a smile on my face to know your working your magic on a larger glass box.

I think that, over time, larger tanks will give you the opportunity to explore your themes further and create fuller renditions of them.

More importantly than that, I hope your enjoying the extra space :thumbup:

View any criticism in the context of you being viewed as the number 1 UK scaper and it won't seem so bad. Might increase the pressure a bit though :lol:

Hey Matt,
Thank you mate, I am really enjoying the extra space, but it seems a bit overwhelming at times .
I reckon it will take a few attempts to use it to best advantage.

I'm afraid I couldn't possibly view things in the context of being UK number 1 as I am still very much in the shadow of greater men. I do have some skill with a nano though :D .

Cheers,
James

Nice one fella.

For the record I consider you the UK's no.1 nano-scaper - world class in fact. And now with a 60P on your hands, who knows what gems we can expect from you...?!

Good luck with the glosso. I'm excited about having a go with mine soon.

James' ADA 60p setup

Hi James, no issue mate. I am happy that I did not offend you. I was more worried that I had offended you than being upset. :)

I didn't know that you were doing this scape for TGM, now it makes sense. It is a great step by step, and the plant choice is superb.

Not sure if TGM would allow it, but this tank would do a great article at PFK, with even a monthly update either on the website or on the magazine.

Great write up James, tank coming along nicely, looking at it careful it has your signature all over it, look forward to what you can do with a larger tank, opened the first post and saw so many ADA's!! haha you really went all out ;)

Congrats :)

Thank you chaps :D

Luis - TGM don't mind, but PFK like exculisives, so I will have to rescape or perhaps just replant.

Paulo - Yes, it's quite a list, I was like at kid at christmas when I picked it all up.

6750162425_c55d3e3812_z.jpg

Here's the tank at 3 weeks, there are still a few patches of yellowish plants but things are generally looking much greener. Probably due to the addition of ADA Brighty special lights, which contains a bit of N and P.

The Glosso is now producing a few horizontal runners, i shall prune back the vertical growth at next water change along with pruning the HC.

Cheers,
James

Thanks Paulo,

I've haked the Glosso right back and can now see quite a few horizontal runners :D

Cheers,
James

I think it's alot harder to grow than many people think. I've only ever got it grow completely sideways under ridiculously high lighting i.e. 48watts of T5 2 inches from the water surface of a Mini-M.
Although I know George has managed it with far less light, just by increasing the ferts.

Cheers,
James

Glosso is by no means easy, also the trick is how you plant it, if you plant it with the new leaves at the top of the runner, it will just grow upwards, you need to chop it and plant it with 2 leaves max and also at a 90 degree angle, then it will shoot runners and start carpeting. High light is a must also, I had a nice carpet in my Rio 125 with 2x24w T8 and 2x24w T5, but it took around 3 months to settle.

i keep trimming mine the the mini-m but it never wants to settle. possibly too much shade from my ferns but james wont have this problem in his tank. Look forward to seeing how it goes James, especially with using the special lights.

James... :wideyed: I think everyone's mouths are open, with saliva dripping once they've seen your pics and read your list of premium ADA equipment. So, so admirable and amazing! I'd do your dishes for a month or something in return for just being able to look at your tank once every day :lol: Pity I dont live in Britain :p

I'm quite shy to intrude in the conversation of such pros as yourself, George, Stu, and LondonDragon but I think I have somehing to add to the glosso topic:

6526096909_16c1986a46_z.jpg
fairytale-2 by András Tündik, on Flickr
6526096593_6c1319c21e_z.jpg
fairytale-1 by András Tündik, on Flickr

This is my glosso carpet in my 100l tank. Its quite lush. I light with 1W/l and fertilize with GA ferts (its estimative index), add recommended doses of EasyCabo and of course I use pressurized CO2. I never ever have a problem keeping it grow horizontally. My problem with it actually is that it grows way too thick way too quickly and it tends to let go of the Amazonia after a while... Its quite annoying. I've been replanting it several times and it grows to the same thickness in 3 weeks if I let it. When I replant it I generally don't cut it to 2 leaved portions, just do it as comfortable, yet it still goes horizontally! I prune it almost to ruins every 2 weeks and it still grows back. I can never enjoy it for an extended period of time... :thumbdown:

I'm not sure whether you mentioned your water parameters, James. I'm using 4/5 ROand 1/5 tap water for water changes, so my water is quite soft (about 4-5 GH) Couldn't that be the secret of Glossostigma elatinoides? What do you think dear professionals? :oops: :)

Back