• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thinking of getting a Fluval G6 (media questions...)

Re: Thinking of getting a Fluval G6

Hi Gary
I assume the G6 comes with filter pads.
I would cut both new and old pads in half and use the mature half in your G6 this will seed your new filter.
Also you could squeeze the mature filter pads into the aquarium to help mature the system but this can be a tad unsightly for a few days.
I would go with the first option.... then you shouldnt have any problems.
Cheers
hoggie

I would of thought it would be fine to transfer all your current bio filter media to the G6. I did. I filled all 3 media baskets with my mature Eheim Substrat Pro. You will be supplied with the Fluval G-Nodes, I never bothered using them?

There are no polishing pads with the G6. They are not needed, the Mechanical pre filter does such an amazing job they are just not necessary.
I bet you can`t wait to get it delivered? I love mine, the water is so clear now, I can`t imagine it is possible to get it any more polished even with this Purigen I have ordered off Antipofish. We shall see?

Thanks for the advice so far - I am thinking of removing half of the G6's new media and just putting say half of my mature Eheim media in the G6, then in about 3 months remove the Eheim media and replace it with the rest of the remaining new G6 media.

Would this work or is it too risky this way?

George Farmer said:
That will be fine, especially in a healthy planted tank where the majority of bio filtration is done by the plants.

Cheers George :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone else as well for the advice & tips - I checked my delivery status earlier from work and its been delivered...yippeeeee!!! :D

Wish I had a bit of spare money to get one of these now :D On a similar (but different) line, would it be better to put an UP atomiser on the inline tube of any canister filter? Just thinking it might improve the diffusion in my tank - plus allow me to have both lengths of tube the same.

I have recently swapped my Up Atomizer onto my Inline as recommended by George. I have found that dissolution has been greatly improved, and all mist has been erradicated. However the bonus of doing this with the G6 is the pre filter shown in the link below. It is constructed of a very tightly woven mesh that will catch suspended debris entering it, including undissolved Co2 bubbles... :thumbup:
http://www.fluval-g.com/mediaoptions_e.php#

I am experiencing a build up of air in the filter probably about 4hrs after Co2 commences. Up until then water is clear. It is ejected via the spray bar, which I am finding a little frustrating. I may try and reduce my bubble rate as I am probably pushing about 2-3 bps at the minute.

would it be better to put an UP atomiser on the inline tube of any canister filter?
I experimented with this on my Eheim 2026 a while back, It was not as effective as on the G6 for reasons explained above. I had a big build up of gas in mine and I feared that continous use in this fashion was going to damage the impellor, I could physically hear the bubbles being diced up...Probably not good if done for prolonged periods?

I checked my delivery status earlier from work and its been delivered...yippeeeee!!!
Has it been set up yet? What do you think? Welcome to the G6 club. :clap: "Flyin High, like a G6" :lol:

Quetzalcoatl said:
Has it been set up yet? What do you think? Welcome to the G6 club. :clap: "Flyin High, like a G6" :lol:

I have only had chance to open the box up so far as work has been manic! so far though, wow! it looks lovely and build quality fantastic too! very impressed.

I will be setting it up on Saturday and I am going to go with George's recommendation of putting my inline diffuser on the inlet as I'll be using my 300w hydor external heater on the outlet. Needless to say I cant wait to get it set up and running :D

Hi Gary,
i love my G6, so easy to clean and slick looking. Mine has been running for coming up 6 months now so im going to clean the bio media. Ive heard that they are remarkably good at keeping this section clean due to the efficiency of the pre-filter. Ill let you know.
I do also get a gas build up and ejection from my filter which is frustrating, especially as i dont inject c02 directly into the filter!.... must be drawing misting from the water column.
Hoping to see your new set up in the journal section in the not too distant future? :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Ady

Yes I will be setting it up this weekend, can't wait! I will also be starting my new journal up very shortly as well :thumbup:

PS, I was looking at you mini schnauzer photos you uploaded on here... Bowser looks great! I uploaded pics of ours just under him :thumbup:

Gary Nelson said:
I will also be starting my new journal up very shortly as well

PS, I was looking at you mini schnauzer photos you uploaded on here... Bowser looks great! I uploaded pics of ours just under him

Ahh, Jasper is cool, cant beat the minis theyre great little dogs!
Good to hear youll be starting a journal, itll be good to see the white Juwel iwagumi.

stuworrall said:
im so jealous of your filter! :) would love to get one running on mine but the ex1200 is doing ok for now, cleaning is a pain though! Looking forward to seeing it all setup

Stu, and Gary as your soon to discover, the G6 is soooo easy to clean, no undoing hoses or clips, no emptying filter chambers, no water everywhere, no pulling out filters from under the tank, just lift a flap, twist the pre filter, slide it out, give it a rinse (or swap for the spare you cleaned last week) and 'bobs your uncle, fannys your aunt'!!!
Ady.

Quetzalcoatl said:
Well Gary. :wave:

Don`t keep us hanging. What do you think? :thumbdown: :thumbup:

I think it is a fantastic bit of kit! and to be honest worth every penny - I can't get over how easy it is to remove the cartridge for cleaning and future maintenance - I'd go as far as saying its the 'apple mac of filters' a quality product :clap:

I had a few queries as where to place the up-atomizer on the pipework, mainly when its on the inlet pipe and the distance form the filter etc - George was very helpful in taking a snapshot of his setup, which answerd my concerns so thanks again for that George. :thumbup:

I would deffinately recomend the G6 to anyone thinking of getting one, not cheap as as it has been said on here before, but a great bit of kit.

Glad to hear you`re pleased with it. I knew you wouldn`t be dissapointed, hard too be really? Like you say, quality piece of kit. :geek:

Care to share the knowledge in regards to atomizer placement. I have mine about 4/5 inches above the inlet on the filter, I seem to be getting quite a build up of gas in their. I would really like to eliminate this issue?

Quetzalcoatl said:
I would of thought it would be fine to transfer all your current bio filter media to the G6. I did. I filled all 3 media baskets with my mature Eheim Substrat Pro. You will be supplied with the Fluval G-Nodes, I never bothered using them?

There are no polishing pads with the G6. They are not needed, the Mechanical pre filter does such an amazing job they are just not necessary.
I bet you can`t wait to get it delivered? I love mine, the water is so clear now, I can`t imagine it is possible to get it any more polished even with this Purigen I have ordered off Antipofish. We shall see?

Hi dude, are you noticing any difference with the Purigen ?

Initially yes, but after a few weeks I`ve noticed that come water change time the water clarity has started to diminish somewhat! I`ve also noticed that the Purigen beads are already showing signs of deteriation. I was expecting to get a good few months of use from it?
I won`t be encouraged to swap from using regular carbon, don`t get me wrong, the Purigen was great for a week, or three but the difference in price is too much to warrant renewing/recharging every month. With the carbon I just replace every four weeks at little cost!

Quetzalcoatl said:
Initially yes, but after a few weeks I`ve noticed that come water change time the water clarity has started to diminish somewhat! I`ve also noticed that the Purigen beads are already showing signs of deteriation. I was expecting to get a good few months of use from it?
I won`t be encouraged to swap from using regular carbon, don`t get me wrong, the Purigen was great for a week, or three but the difference in price is too much to warrant renewing/recharging every month. With the carbon I just replace every four weeks at little cost!

They will carry on working until they are pretty dark, mine have changed colour a bit too, but still does a great job. If yours have gone darker it could just mean there was more of the stuff that it pulls out in your water than mine, and I guess that would depend how long the tank has been set up. For a tank thats been running a while I imagine the first period would be shorter, then you do one or two recharges and its at the stage of "keeping it clean" rather than "getting it clean", if you see what I mean. How many litres is your tank and how much are you using ? I can't recall. I have 300ml in 175L. You only have to look at Mark Evans' and Ianho's tanks to see that it works well (in conjunction with other good aquarium practice of course :))

So, how long should the chemical cartridge last then? I'm thinking that when this is exhausted, just popping 2 bags of purigen in, but I don't want to chuck the cartridge out to quick...

Back