• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is it safe to add cold water from tap to tank straight away?

You should be fine. The only time I've ever had problems adding cold water was when I did a 50% water change on my nano using RO water from the butt in my garage in January year! The fish all went comatose, but then perked up as soon as I put them into warm water! None died or even got any dieases! Just make sure you don't chill your fish too much and you add a dechlorinator to the tank to neutralise chlorine and chloramine.

I've used cold tap water for a while now with no problems. With summer coming i dont think it'll be a problem at all.

I think by lowering the temperature of the tank slightly it can actually trigger some fish to spawn?

Voo said:
I think by lowering the temperature of the tank slightly it can actually trigger some fish to spawn?

It can, but not Malawis who come from a very stable lake.

I use a hose from my kitchen tap. I bought a connection thing ( dont know what its called ) so that it would fit the mixer tap. I get the tap running to the right temp, then click the hose on. In the tank and the end of the hose, I add my water conditioner. Everything seems very happy with me doing this, so im happy to carry on doing it.

Graeme.

Graeme Edwards said:
I use a hose from my kitchen tap. I bought a connection thing ( dont know what its called ) so that it would fit the mixer tap. I get the tap running to the right temp, then click the hose on. In the tank and the end of the hose, I add my water conditioner. Everything seems very happy with me doing this, so im happy to carry on doing it.

Graeme.

I was going to get the tap up to a warmer temp, i'll look out for them, any idea where you got it from?

Thanks guys.

aaronnorth said:
Graeme Edwards said:

Graeme.

I was going to get the tap up to a warmer temp, i'll look out for them, any idea where you got it from?

Thanks guys.

I bought a showerhead attachment (from Woolworths or Superdrug) cost about £3, then cut the end off of it and put an eheim double tap on it. Connected the other end of the eheim to some siphon tubing.

I then use it the same way as Graeme, getting the water up to temp and then joining the ends together. I also use it to drain the tank as well.

I have taken the tank water from 25 down to 20 with no adverse effects on the fish, although I usually try to get the temp as close as I can. I have read elsewhere that a bit colder does no harm, but a bit warmer does (especially to shrimp apaprently).

aaronnorth said:
Thanks for that, will the following equipment be ok for a simple fitting:

tap connector (male end) - female connected to tap - hosepipe to female - simple nozzle to shut off while i am at tank!

that sounds good to me.

If you can get the tap end lower than the tank end you can use it as a siphon to drain the tank as well.
Mine takes 15min to drain 80L over a 10metre length of tubing into my bath.
Then about 3 min to fill up again.
Easy Peasey!

I remove 20% (2 buckets) each saturday and the water that comes out is 26ºC. No idea what the temperature of the tap water going in is but its from the cold tap. Water temp in the tank goes down to about 22ºC. Fish are still alive, show no stress, breeding quite happily.

In the wild there will be fluctuations in the water temperature (not as quickly) but night temps will be cooler than day etc.

I don't mention my cold water changes on some forums because of the old school 'you must match the temps' theories and I get peeved by the 'animal abuse' comments. lol

I have pitbull plecs and bolivian rams breeding regularly (tank ful of carniovores means no survivors) so I think it proves they are all fine and dandy.

I wouldn't do full cold water changesif I was doing 50%EI changes.

Andy

SuperColey1 said:
I remove 20% (2 buckets) each saturday and the water that comes out is 26ºC. No idea what the temperature of the tap water going in is but its from the cold tap. Water temp in the tank goes down to about 22ºC. Fish are still alive, show no stress, breeding quite happily.

In the wild there will be fluctuations in the water temperature (not as quickly) but night temps will be cooler than day etc.

I don't mention my cold water changes on some forums because of the old school 'you must match the temps' theories and I get peeved by the 'animal abuse' comments. lol

I have pitbull plecs and bolivian rams breeding regularly (tank ful of carniovores means no survivors) so I think it proves they are all fine and dandy.

I wouldn't do full cold water changesif I was doing 50%EI changes.

Andy

That is disgraceful I can't believe you put your fish through that :wideyed:

Only joking :D It is actually quite refreshing to hear that it can be done with the fish being OK about it. After this post started a couple of weeks back, I have been a bit more slack aboot matching temperatures (dropping up to 5deg C with 50-60% water changes) and all my fish are doing fine. My hydor heater is 300W in a 160L tank so brings the temp back up quite quickly.

Adding cold water can induce breeding and/or shedding with shrimp, not sure about fish though.... I too add water straight from the cold tap when changing up to 20%, but anything more I add mix in hot water from the tap.

Hi

I am new here - looks like a great site

I use to do all my water changes using the hot water tap and cold water tap and matching the temp before filling up. Until I was advised by a guy at my LFS a few weeks back that I was "killing my fish!" by using the hot water tap, as the water is coming from a tank rather than direct from the mains.

I could see his point as they do say that you shouldn't drink or brush your teeth with water from the hot tank. I now just put cold water in direct from the mains and have had no side effects from this. As i don't want to be accused of fish murder again!

But I am still a little worried about freezing the little blighters especially in the winter months. How do you guys feel about this?

Cheers

I always do cold water changes. Let the cold tap run for a min or so, then through a hose pipe straight from tap to tank, add the dechlor to the tank as waters goin in, never had any problems, fish all happy and healthy

Hi all,i change 50g every week and i use cold water through a hose pipe straight from the garden tap during summer i find this is no problem,During winter when the tap water is really cold i do add some hot water from the kettle after boiling of course, i would not advise using hot water from the tap because because it can contain high levels of total disolved solids (tds) and i have been doing this every week for ten months and i havent lost any fish at all,regards john

john starkey said:
Hi all,i change 50g every week and i use cold water through a hose pipe straight from the garden tap during summer i find this is no problem,During winter when the tap water is really cold i do add some hot water from the kettle after boiling of course, i would not advise using hot water from the tap because because it can contain high levels of total disolved solids (tds) and i have been doing this every week for ten months and i havent lost any fish at all,regards john

Hi John,

how do you add any de-chlorinator?

Back