• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

co2 levels

vygec

I finally got my pressurised co2 going today. I have the dropchecker in the tank installed-opposite end to where the diffuser is in the tank . After how long can I expect this to change colour towards green (currently blue). I have started on 1bps on the bubble counter. Is this enough?, I didn't want to overdo it!, my tank is a juwel trigon 350.

I run 2bps on a 60l. I would imagine you are going to have to up your buble rate to see a change. Do you have any livestock?

Hi

Currently running @ 4/5 bsp on 200 litre tank thats heavily planted, so your at 350 litres - you will be add co2 by the bucket load, I would start at 3/4 bsp and have the timer switch the gas on 1 - 1.5 hours before light come on and swictch off 1 hour before the lights go out.

The aim to get the colouration of the DC lime green as the ligths come on - this ensure the plants have a good supply of gas to consume during lighting period - if you have plenty of fish within the tank I would increase the co2 levels over a period of time eg 3 - 4 weeks, they will become acclimatised to these levels.

Regards
paul.

i didnt realise i would need that much!
My lights come on at 2pm and go off in the evening at 10pm. i have set the co2 to come on 1 hour before the lights come on, and then to go off 1 hour before the lights go off.
Tank is a heavily populated community tank- full of fish, so i'm glad you mentioned introducing the co2 gradually.
Lights are only T8, i use reflectors, but this only equates to 1wpg. i am also dosing with an 'all in one' fert every other day. This is my first planted tank, im not sure if you would classify it as heavily planted or not? Having said this, i have intentionally gone for 'easy care' plants including: Vallis, Java Fern, Hornwort, Anubia, Crypts,Moss, Amazon Sword.

Some pics of my tank:
imag0139p.jpg

imag0143ot.jpg

Your tank looks nice :D

As for CO2 every one is different, i learnt a lot from the people over at the barr report.
My 125ltr has a bubble rate to fast to count, as i have lots of surface movement. I use the bubble counter as a rough guide when i change CO2 tanks over.

I take a look at my fish, drop checker colour, pH and KH.

So if you have lots of surface movement expect to use lots of CO2, if you have hardly any surface movement, you could use as little as 3-4 bubbles per sec.

If your wondering why i use lots of surface movement! I found this gives more room for error on co2 injection for the fishes sake, I can use more CO2 without gassing the fish and my needle valve seams to control higher flows better than lower ones.

yep, quite a bit of hair algea growing everywhere. Up until yesterday, i was dosing easy carbo.

Back