• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

[NANO] Double Opti White - Cherry/Sakura/White Pearl Breeding Colony

Re: Double Opti White Nano - Cherry/Sakura Breeding Colony

Hi Paulo,
these tanks are so inspiring. No ferts and no c02 and such beautiful results. The newest tank to the right especially shows what can be achieved with the right plant choices, all of which need no special substrates and are relitively undemanding. You could get a near instant impact set up. The two side by side show great symmetry and draw the eye from one to the other across the sand beds. I also like the details such as the use of the emersed planting in the filter and the wood which is present outside the tanks, it makes for a very natural setting. The shrimps look very much at home and there is definitely beauty in numbers here!
Great work.
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Hi Paulo,
these tanks are so inspiring. No ferts and no c02 and such beautiful results. The newest tank to the right especially shows what can be achieved with the right plant choices, all of which need no special substrates and are relitively undemanding. You could get a near instant impact set up. The two side by side show great symmetry and draw the eye from one to the other across the sand beds. I also like the details such as the use of the emersed planting in the filter and the wood which is present outside the tanks, it makes for a very natural setting. The shrimps look very much at home and there is definitely beauty in numbers here!
Great work.
Ady.
Many thanks for the kind words Ady, these tanks are for the long term, so low tech is the way to go and if I don't have to dose anything the less danger it is for my shrimp. The tank on the right still needs a little bit of work and the plants to grow in, the rocks to age, guess it will be there in time ;)

Now have to finish the third tank which I started planting last Friday :D

Lovely pair of nanos Paulo, the tanks look great in such close proximty to each other.

Cheers,
James

James Marshall said:
Lovely pair of nanos Paulo, the tanks look great in such close proximty to each other.

Cheers,
James
Many thanks James, appreciate the feedback, not in your high standards though haha just to keep my shrimp happy :)

BigTom said:
Hah I remember the filter fern form the first time you posted it. It's still probably my favourite individual plant on UKAPS :lol:
Thanks Tom, you are welcome to a small cutting if you want to try it.

Truly Inspiring Little nanos, And Love the Planted HOB, It really does make them look nice.
I use Java Moss in my HOB's for something Extra.

As the others have already said, this is wonderful stuff mate :clap: Your study reminds me of my living room/study where I keep most of my tanks and Wabis... So I know how great it feels to be in shuch ambient surroundings :)

Somebody already identified the fern in English. Although I don't know the exact species of your fern its genus is definitely Pteris. I recently bought a pot of Pteris myself (don't know the species of mine either) almost exactly like yours and was wondering whether it could survive with its roots and rhizome in the aquarium, because I have a partly emersed scape idea with it. Well, now I know it can! :thumbup: Thanks for your unconscious reply to my question!

Gill said:
Truly Inspiring Little nanos, And Love the Planted HOB, It really does make them look nice.
Many thanks Gill, I tried a moss around the fern that I picked up in the local park, but it dries up quickly as the fern roots pushes it up, need to find a smaller plant for that, might try emersed glosso, that should work out nicely.

schruz said:
As the others have already said, this is wonderful stuff mate :clap: Your study reminds me of my living room/study where I keep most of my tanks and Wabis... So I know how great it feels to be in shuch ambient surroundings :)

Somebody already identified the fern in English. Although I don't know the exact species of your fern its genus is definitely Pteris. I recently bought a pot of Pteris myself (don't know the species of mine either) almost exactly like yours and was wondering whether it could survive with its roots and rhizome in the aquarium, because I have a partly emersed scape idea with it. Well, now I know it can! :thumbup: Thanks for your unconscious reply to my question!
Many thanks for the feedback and glad there was an answer to dilemma in there :)

Hi all,
Lovely tanks. The fern is
MICROSORUM GREEN FLAMEPPAF - "a superior and vigorous selection of Microsorum punctatum which originated in Europe".
100_0471.jpg

From this thread: <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6731&hilit=ikea+microsorum&start=70>. I don't think Paulo ever sent me a bit?, so if there is a bit spare I'm still keen on it.

cheers Darrel

hmmm. That looks like staghorn...

im' still going for asplenium scalopendrium. i love my ferns, not sure i can handle things if i am wrong on this one. the world just would not make sense anymore.

Hmmm... Guys, I really think that this is a Pteris species. Dragon's pic resembles my fern very closely and I'm positive that mine is a Pteris sp. Neither of the ferns you mentioned look much like either of our plants sorry :p I'll take a pic of mine sometime.

LondonDragon said:
Gill said:
Many thanks Gill, I tried a moss around the fern that I picked up in the local park, but it dries up quickly as the fern roots pushes it up, need to find a smaller plant for that, might try emersed glosso, that should work out nicely.

You Could try a Hydrocoytle, it works well

Hi all,
Fern naming is always exciting, if you have a look at the other thread, you will see how I got to a name. You would need to look at the sori on the backs of the leaves to be sure, but in Asplenium & Pteris they are pair and lanceolate, and in Microsorum they are small, scattered and round ("Microsorum" means "small sori").

Asplenium scolopendrium syn. Phyllitis scolopendrium
asplenium-scolopendrium-page.jpg

and Microsorum <http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantklm/microsorum.htm>
microscolop.jpg

cheers Darrel

Very nice Mr. Dragon, you have a lovely pair of nanos.

I always like looking at your tanks, I still remember the one with boesemani in.

I am also keeping ferns /or well trying out ferns on the top of the tree stump in my aquarium. Nice to play with another dimension.

I have forgotten what species they are will have to consult Dr. Darrel.

Just a quick update of the tanks, haven't done much with them of late, photos after a water change (first in 2 months) and a heavy prune of the mosses.

pict0027rx.jpg

pict0031se.jpg

pict0021b.jpg

pict0022fi.jpg

Guys I have the fern ready I have to post it soon ;) things been a little chaotic this end last few months.

Back