• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Preventing another stock implosion.

idris

A few weeks before Xmas I got 3 Female Dwarf Gouramis from Chiltern Aquatics.
They lasted about a month and then died within a week of each other.
I replaced them from the same LFS about 2 weeks ago and the first of these died within a week. The rest have since followed. I spoke to the LFS and they said the 3 females were harrassed to death by the 3 males, but a few days later my Neons are dropping (5 down in 3 days) and a Killifish is AWOL.
None of the dead fish have had anything obviously wrong with them and seemed fine and healthy when I last saw them. So obviously the LFS are talking blahblahblahblahblahblahblahs and I'm expecting the while tank to implode if I don't do something quickly.

Water changes have been normal at 10% per week.
Nitrites etc are negligable.
Plants are ok.

What's my best option for trying to save the remaining stock?

Sound's like a bacterial infection! But I'm no expert, I would try something like Esha 2000 which treats a wide range of infections something 70 I think.
Try Google or Ebay and see what you think.

I might were it me,Perform twice weekly water changes of 50 percent for a while and wait it out before medicating.
It is said that as many as 30 percent of imported Dwarf Gourami (Colisa Ialia) are prone to mycobacterium or Iridovirus, sometimes called Dwarf gourami disease. Is also said to be untreatable.
Colisa Chuna (Honey gourami) or Pearl gourami are a bit hardier, and not prone to afore mentioned Iridovirus.
Gourami I have kept,( Honey , Pearl) seemed to do better in warmer water than Neon's appreciate despite rather wide range of temps suggested in many books, and water that was not much more than 10 dgh.
In hard water,,they may or may not live but a few months,weeks which is something to consider when they are reported to live five plus year's.
Could also be new fish brought something into tank if not using quarantine and has nothing to do with afore mentioned Iridovirus or,,stress related illness due in part to aggressive nature of these fish when space is at a premium.
Just my two cent's. :silent:

Hi all,
I think "Roadmaster" has made good suggestions, but I've just had a look back through Idris's threads over the last couple of months <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18433>, and I think that these incidents aren't random bad luck, but there is something toxic getting into/happening in the tanks.

The question is what? Looks like chloramine isn't a possibility, but my suspicion is that something is compromising biological filtration.

If things get worse using "Roadmaster's" suggested water changes, that would indicate it is a tap water problem, and if things get better, or nothing changes, that would suggest that it isn't a tap water problem and we need to find another source.

cheers Darrel

Water quality is possible. But last time (good memory Darrel!) water changes seemed not to help. This time the deaths have actualy been when I've been about a week after water changes. This strikes me as significant, and to my uneducated mind points to desease brought in by new fish rather than toxins in the water supply. Yes? No?

Back