• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Cliff Face Journal With Riverbed/path

Dan-CR4

Since I will be getting my tank in less than 2 weeks, I thought I would start my journal. I have made my own cabinet and ND Aquatics are supplying the tank. The hood will be made by me once the tanks arrives, Heres a picture of the cabinet I made......

dont worry about the stain on the flooring, part of the deal of me getting a new tank was me doing a full decoration of the hall.
cabinet6.jpg

This is my first attempt at making anything like this so please be nice :lol:

Im upgrading from juwel vision 180 and buying most stuff new, the only stuff I am taking over to the new tank will be the co2 setup but getting a new external atomizer and of course the filter media.

Onto the journal : Heres a list of what I got and what I still need to get

Tank : 266 Litres (got)
Cabinet : Built see pic above (got)
Hood : (got)
Filters : 2x 1500lph probably less with media (got)
Heater : External/inline Hydor 300w (got)
Light controllers : Hagen Glo T5 TWIN LIGHT STARTER 2 X 39w (got)
Bulbs/Lamps : 2x T5 39 Watt Grolux & 2x 39 Watt Philips de Luxe Pro T5 965 (got)
Co2 : DIY 2kg FE setup with external/inline Atmomizer (got)
Substrate : 44 litres of moler clay (got)
Substrate 2 :some kind of shingle (got)
Hardscape rock : Want a nice big bit of rock. (got to buy)
Hardscape wood : got one piece with 50% of it covered in xmas moss, want to get some redmoor wood.
Plants : I have got java ferns, and a few others but will be buying more, do want a nice carpet of some sort. ideas?
Ferts : Ei Starter kit from aquariumplantfood.co.uk (got)

I think thats it, until the next time i look around and say "could do with one of them". :lol:

Design idea :

What im wanting to do is have a hill/mountain on the right with a rock face leading down into a river bed/path sort of thing using pea shingle, then heading slightly uphill to the left with the redmoor wood surrounded by plants and moss. The front of the tank to the left and right of the riverbed I want to do a carpet of the same plant, now I would like you guys to give me some guidance on this plant that you think would work as a carpet in my setup.

If you think I have missed something that I need or can give me any ideas to improve my design idea, please let me know as im really wanting this to work and need all the help I can get.

I will keep this updated as it progresses.

TIA

Will be interesting, most of the cliff scapes in my memory go from left - right, so it will be nice to see one the other way.

The main reason im doing it the other way, is that the tanks right hand side is in the corner and the left hand side is nexto to a door and from where we sit in the room I thought it would give us a better view of it. hopefully it will look ok and not too out of sync o_O

Thank you, im hoping it turns out ok.

small update : ordered 44 litres of molar clay today, 30 lites of bigger stuff and 14 litres of fine. Now just got to get the shingle and me substrates are sorted.

Another Small Update :

Took Delivery of my 44 litres of molar clay today :crazy: Started to rinse it and boy is this stuff dusty, after 7 rinses on each half a bucket, the water still aint perfectly clear. The colour of the water on the first rinse, is dark as a strong cup of hot chocolate.

I do like the colour of the molar clay when its wet, so far I have done half the bag of the big stuff, then once all the big stuff is done I got the finer stuff to do. I have taken a picture of it wet and dry and I will upload that later.

I also ordered me lights this morning off lampspecs and yesterday I moved the juwel vision 180 and fish into the bedroom so I could get me home made cabinet into place ready for the tank next thursday. At last its all coming together, but so far thats the easy job, the hardest job is trying to get a good hardscape and then getting the right plants. I know what I want but knowing and getting it to look how I want it will be a different story I think.

Dan-CR4 said:
Another Small Update :

Took Delivery of my 44 litres of molar clay today :crazy: Started to rinse it and boy is this stuff dusty, after 7 rinses on each half a bucket, the water still aint perfectly clear. The colour of the water on the first rinse, is dark as a strong cup of hot chocolate.

I do like the colour of the molar clay when its wet, so far I have done half the bag of the big stuff, then once all the big stuff is done I got the finer stuff to do. I have taken a picture of it wet and dry and I will upload that later.

I found the same thing with the molar clay. very dusty. loved the way it fizzed when you added water for the first time thou. :D

JohnC said:
I found the same thing with the molar clay. very dusty. loved the way it fizzed when you added water for the first time thou. :D

Yeah reminds of something I used have back in school called space dust, dont think I will put this in my mouth though :sick:

As promised heres some pics of the larger molar clay

Here it is dry, very dusty.
molar1.jpg

Here it is wet.
molar2.jpg

The rinsing process, lovely colour water for a fish tank
molar3.jpg

Have half a pint on me
molar4.jpg

Back